BS or not?

Agreed, but some are modest about it. Another guy posted this and boy they went to town on him ...

View attachment 120861

Nothing hurts the ego more than being outperformed by the perceived "cheaper" equipment after you have bankrupted the checking account for your latest, more modern, hyper velocity, uber accurate, heat seeking, radar guided sniper rifle loaded with meticulously hand crafted laser guided, smart cruise missiles.

:)

Alot of times I can be lucky shooting, but my custom 300 RUM will do this or at least one inch ctc if I do my part. Can call bs all day long, but two guys at the range will verify the group....sometimes a rifle does amazing things....rsbhunter

Attachments

• 0516122204_0002_0001.jpg
    0516122204_0002_0001.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 111
A little discussion I am having in FB :cool: ...

Poster: I have a Stillars Precision action on a Mollar barrel and can easily hold a 1" group at 500 yards shooting 140 ELD Match Ammo

Me: WOW! Are you "actually" getting 1" group at 500 yards (.~2 MOA) with Hornady factory 140 ELD Match ammo or did you mean 1 MOA at 500 yards (~5")?

Poster: negative, 1.12" groups at 500 yards on a custom rifle. I want to start reloading but I just can't see my groups getting that much better.

Poster: And if I'm being honest it is 480 yards.. on a bench.

Me: I think you need to start competing. I don't know a lot of folks that competes with a custom set-up shooting factory ammo like yours that prints that tight of a group.

Poster: if I had more time I definitely would compete but for work I travel all over the country and am hardly ever home. The nice thing is where ever I go I can almost always find a place to burn some powder that's where most of my free time is spent.

He looks like an honest older fellow.
I know for sure...if owned this gun and wasn't interested in shooting for a world title.... I would put it for sale for $ 30,000.00+ and buy .5 moa and live happily ever after!

A little discussion I am having in FB :cool: ...

Poster: I have a Stillars Precision action on a Mollar barrel and can easily hold a 1" group at 500 yards shooting 140 ELD Match Ammo

Me: WOW! Are you "actually" getting 1" group at 500 yards (.~2 MOA) with Hornady factory 140 ELD Match ammo or did you mean 1 MOA at 500 yards (~5")?

Poster: negative, 1.12" groups at 500 yards on a custom rifle. I want to start reloading but I just can't see my groups getting that much better.

Poster: And if I'm being honest it is 480 yards.. on a bench.

Me: I think you need to start competing. I don't know a lot of folks that competes with a custom set-up shooting factory ammo like yours that prints that tight of a group.

Poster: if I had more time I definitely would compete but for work I travel all over the country and am hardly ever home. The nice thing is where ever I go I can almost always find a place to burn some powder that's where most of my free time is spent.

He looks like an honest older fellow.
Forgive me, easily hold a 1" group at 500 yards???

I can't shoot that good on my best days. . I'm happy to consistently hit 8" steel at 700 yards. No wind day it's easy. Variable wind days it's tough without flags every 100 yards

Forgive me, easily hold a 1" group at 500 yards???
This really isn't that big of a deal. Please go back in the thread and read the sub 1 inch groups @ 600 yards not just 500. Simply go to a BR, varmint rifle or F-class match. I have a 1960's built "Red" BR in 222Rem that I once shot a 5 shot .009" 100 yd group in warmup. To this day, it still holds in the .1's @ the 100 yd line.

If you wish to see what rifles are truly capable of, go to a few 600yd BR matches, varmint rifle matches, etc, etc Some of you really need to get out more :)

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/05/amazing-wagner-shoots-0-349-50-2x-group-at-600-yards/
Amazing! Wagner Shoots 0.349″ (50-2X) Group at 600 Yards

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek051.html
Sub-Inch 600-Yard 6BR

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/04/amazing-accuracy-sauter-shoots-0-282-group-at-600-yards/

Last edited:
I'm satisfied if I can keep a 10 shot group under MOA in any conditions (it's actually harder than a lot of people think). But I don't do competitions and just hunt. I shoot a lot every year and have some nice groups from time to time. It's fun but my main goal is to keep my shots on a 10" circle all the way out to 1000 yards no matter the conditions. We get a lot of wind here where I live so I have learned my limits at range quite quickly.

I don't really get into debates about people's groups that they post on here or elsewhere because it doesn't really matter to me. If he shot that at 500 yards, good for him. If he didn't, he didn't.

If no one else is —I'll call BS on that post. If he can sell that line- then I can sell a 3/4" group at 600 yards.

If he is that good he won't have to tell everyone about his results. Everyone will be talking about him.

If no one else is —I'll call BS on that post. If he can sell that line- then I can sell a 3/4" group at 600 yards.

If he is that good he won't have to tell everyone about his results. Everyone will be talking about him.

Sigh.... Please read the above posts. Oy Vey.

Last edited:
I think it is the "easily hold" which is kinda like "consistently hold" that has folks rolling eyes a bit. I'm sure that ammo can shoot some tight groups at 500 yards. But I'm not sure how easy it would be to consistently do it.

I think it is the "easily hold" which is kinda like "consistently hold" that has folks rolling eyes a bit. I'm sure that ammo can shoot some tight groups at 500 yards. But I'm not sure how easy it would be to consistently do it.

Simply attend a few BR, varmint and F-class matches.

Ever wonder the difference between NFL and Division II?

When I started shooting matches it was early 70's through the 80's so my only excuse is that then we did not have any of the fine bullets, powder and primers at the time. Also custom rifles were not anywhere near the quality as they are today, mostly because of the quality of the premium barrels and chamber reamers.

Not making any excuses because we shot with what we had. also factory ammo has come a long way since then.

I can believe that the poster could possibly do this today If it were in a bench rest rifle. But if it is a custom hunting rifle using factory ammo I would have to see it. Not calling foul, just very skeptical.

All of my best groups have came from a bench environment where the rifle is held by a lead sled or a set of sand bags to minimize any movement and even then they only came on my good days with great conditions.

J E CUSTOM

When I started shooting matches it was early 70's through the 80's so my only excuse is that then we did not have any of the fine bullets, powder and primers at the time. Also custom rifles were not anywhere near the quality as they are today, mostly because of the quality of the premium barrels and chamber reamers.

Not making any excuses because we shot with what we had. also factory ammo has come a long way since then.

I can believe that the poster could possibly do this today If it were in a bench rest rifle. But if it is a custom hunting rifle using factory ammo I would have to see it. Not calling foul, just very skeptical.

All of my best groups have came from a bench environment where the rifle is held by a lead sled or a set of sand bags to minimize any movement and even then they only came on my good days with great conditions.

J E CUSTOM

I agree with part and disagree in part. There are a few short range BR records from the 60's and 70's that stand until this day, and while most of us hand swaged our own bullets, the chosen powders and primers of the day were very good. I still own a set of 22 cal swage dies from my earlier BR days, but today's match bullets are on par with the best I could hand make. That component alone has changed consistent group size more than any other cartridge component.

There have been many tests, some done myself, with older hunting and varmint rifles loaded with modern projectiles that saw their best groups cut in half by modern concentric bullet jackets with very uniform weights and meplats.

With today's components and scopes, there are many modern hunting and varmint rifles very capable of 1" groups at 500yds. Some are sold on this website.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.