Too Heavy or not?

My horses told me that I was going to have to lighten the load they carried so I went to a lighter rifle instead of loosing weight since that would be easier for me to do.

My horses told me that I was going to have to lighten the load they carried so I went to a lighter rifle instead of loosing weight since that would be easier for me to do.

L:DL! I envy those hunters like you that can augment their wilderness hunt with equine support. That is the way to go.

I remember elk hunting the Beartooth WMA 2013, we had a 6 miles hike before climbing the hill/mountain that we are going to hunt, and many of the hunters on horse back passed us nonchalantly as we were huffing and puffing. :cool:

L:DL! I envy those hunters like you that can augment their wilderness hunt with equine support. That is the way to go.

I remember elk hunting the Beartooth WMA 2013, we had a 6 miles hike before climbing the hill/mountain that we are going to hunt, and many of the hunters on horse back passed us nonchalantly as we were huffing and puffing. :cool:

Isn't that like a swift kick in the nuts when that happens.

Reminds me of a field trial I was at a few years ago.

I road my big skinny horse hard for two days. On the third day of the trial a buddy of mine who was the wrangler for the event came begging me for a horse as all of his were shot and he had to provide a ride for a judge that was 6'9 and over 400lbs.

We put the old boy on Hank and I swear his eyes looked like they were going to pop out of his head.

The funny part was that I had warned him when riding Hank up to a tank or creek don't ever gig'm because if you do he's going to jump it... .

End of the day he thought Hank was worn clean out and was in a hurry to get to the barn. He came up to a creek that's about 12-15' across and Hank paused before stepping in.

Sure enough he kicked him hard with both feet and you could literally see about three feet between his *** and Hank's back about mid creek and one hell of a splash when he hit bottom.

Hank just stood there looking back at him like "well he told you not to do that".... .

I was laughing so hard I nearly fell off my horse but I was nice enough to hold Hank next to a big rock so he could get back on for the slow ride to the house.

If I have the means I would be on one too!:)
The horses aren't the problem, it's the truck, trailer, gear, and feed that makes them expensive.

You flat can't afford to keep horses all year for a week or two of hunting each year unless you have free pasture and can do most of your own vet/farrier work or have very deep pockets.

The horses aren't the problem, it's the truck, trailer, gear, and feed that makes them expensive.

You flat can't afford to keep horses all year for a week or two of hunting each year unless you have free pasture and can do most of your own vet/farrier work or have very deep pockets.

I know, my buddy has 4 horses and he tells me all of his expenditures but they (esp. his wife) enjoy them all year around. He bailed me out in 2013 and help me pack my bull elk 7 miles from the camp.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.