BS or not?

jimrecord02.jpg

Just for grins.

I was talking with Bobby Hart yesterday at the Harrisburg, Pa. show, he was telling me that he uses the factory ELD match in his Creedmoor and 300 PRC. Said he can't reload them any better to beat the groups he is getting.

1/2 moa at 600( 3") is NOT 1.2" at 480.....(aprox .26.....12 times smaller)
there is a big difference...really big in the world of small groups at distance.

posting what you do with your perfect world rifle and hand loads has NOTHING to do with this thread.
I am not affirming nor denying what the guy shot nor states, but I am a little puzzled by the number of responses that imply a factory rifle with quality "match" ammo cannot produce good groups. Guys, this is not a new phenomenon. Being a long ago competitive shooter and shooting club VP, we would take heavy barreled Win 70's and Rem 700 308's and a case of Federal Match 168 Sierra's and found many would shoot 1/2 moa. That was in the 80's !

When we played with different factory loads, lapped locking lugs and/or bores, if needed, and maybe bedded the recoil lug, some of these club rifles were stellar performers. Nothing fancy nor overly expensive. One of my first Palma rifles was simply a Win 70 Varmint in .308, and shooting the issue Palma load, it performed admirably.

YMMV

A little discussion I am having in FB :cool: ...

Poster: I have a Stillars Precision action on a Mollar barrel and can easily hold a 1" group at 500 yards shooting 140 ELD Match Ammo

Me: WOW! Are you "actually" getting 1" group at 500 yards (.~2 MOA) with Hornady factory 140 ELD Match ammo or did you mean 1 MOA at 500 yards (~5")?

Poster: negative, 1.12" groups at 500 yards on a custom rifle. I want to start reloading but I just can't see my groups getting that much better.

Poster: And if I'm being honest it is 480 yards.. on a bench.

Me: I think you need to start competing. I don't know a lot of folks that competes with a custom set-up shooting factory ammo like yours that prints that tight of a group.

Poster: if I had more time I definitely would compete but for work I travel all over the country and am hardly ever home. The nice thing is where ever I go I can almost always find a place to burn some powder that's where most of my free time is spent.

He looks like an honest older fellow.
If anyone can shoot like this I'd love to witness it. It's world class.

del2les,That picture is how I talked about my friend with stacks of target like that where 5 shot practice.Thats his game,has many records under his belt as well as guy who taught him.Use to shoot archery league with them.Gone out with them shooting,what really amazed me was how fast he sends them hand fed when wind is good,bought fast as you can work bolt

1/2 moa at 600( 3") is NOT 1.2" at 480.....(aprox .26.....12 times smaller)
there is a big difference...really big in the world of small groups at distance.

posting what you do with your perfect world rifle and hand loads has NOTHING to do with this thread.

Uhhh, go back and read my post you are responding to "Factory rifles" with "factory match ammo" and those were "1980's" equipment.

I am extremely versed in small groups from numerous rifles, hunting,BR, varmint etc, etc over many decades, and have shot countless 600 yd 5 shot 2" or better groups. What is with the hostility ??

We are a group of very serious shooters with several of us holding past world records in various disciplines, and we are not in the least surprised by good groups by modern match ammo. Please reread the post you responded too.

Yikes! Thought this was a site for serious LR shooters. Guess I'll stick to the crowds who do and understand.

I have an out of box Browning X-bolt 6mm creedmoor that has shot .887, and 1.11 at 500 yards, but no I cant do it every time. got to have right day, right conditions. it does tell me my loads are pretty good, and equipment is good as well
Yep. A local shooter bought a Ruger Percision in 6 Creeedmor
Mounted a Vortex HST and began shooting Hornady match
Ammo. After break in, he was putting rounds into 1.5 inches on our 500yd P-dog gong.

Well, like the Canadian sniper said, I did it once ! I shot a prairie dog, once at 862 yds. with an AR15 in 223A.I. and a 55 gr. bullet. Think I could do that again? I seriously doubt it ! But, like this guy, I did do it once. Shootin 1.2 inch group at 480 is still a braggin group.. even once! Keep it up !

I would have an issue with him saying "easily." At that 480-500 yards, wind and optical inconsistency can "easily" add more than .2 MOA differences in impact, especially if he is not an experienced shooter. However, I'm less doubtful about whether it's technically possible with a well built custom rifle shooting quality factory ammo. I'm not the guy the OP is talking about. But I have a...wait for it...6.5 CM (sorry guys) built with a Stiller action, Bartlein Barrel, Jewell, McMillian, etc. I hunt with it, so I'm lucky that it will consistently put 3 factory Hornady PH 143 ELD-X through the same hole at 100 yards and ragged holes at 200. I've also shot Hornady 140 AMAX and Hornady 140 BTHP Black ammo with pretty much the same results. My dope changes, but the accuracy doesn't. It just doesn't seem to care. I have a good number of photos showing the results. I have reloading gear. But I really don't see the point of loading for this rifle, although I'm thinking about trying to hand load to get a little more velocity. But I just bought 1000 more rounds of the Hornady American Gunner 140 BTHP at 74 cents per round. The OF brass goes for 25 cents. And I can hardly load it for 50 cents, especially when I factor in the cost of my time.

I also have a Savage FLCP in .223 that shoots very tiny groups with only one factory load, 69gr FGMMSMK. Coincidently, that's the factory ammo that Savage says that rifle is tested with. I'm not sure whether these groups are .2 or not. But I honestly think the difference in impact is more from my release point being ever so slightly different from shot to shot, rather than rifle/ ammo accuracy.

Yep. A local shooter bought a Ruger Percision in 6 Creeedmor
Mounted a Vortex HST and began shooting Hornady match
Ammo. After break in, he was putting rounds into 1.5 inches on our 500yd P-dog gong.
I just shoot for fun, I enjoy working up loads to get best performance possible for all my rifles. on occasion I find one that really works. I find longer range a real challenge
very rewarding to shoot a nice group now and then. manufactures are making some pretty nice guns now

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.