Muzzle brake or not?

odoylerules

Trying to decide to run a brake or not. Sometimes you don't have time to put in hearing protection, and a muzzle braked rifle could seriously damage your hearing. I'm building a 7-300wm running berger 195's. This should be a stout cartridge. Finished weight of rifle around 11lb mark. Primary use hunting, but will also bang steel and break rocks from time to time.

Last edited:
I would put a break on it if it were me. Really depends on how you handle recoil.

o, go with the brake. Less recoil helps with ability to have follow up shots and relieves unconscious flinch. My braked rifles are a pleasure to shoot and I wear electronic ear protection which blocks the extra report of the brake and amplifies surrounding sound.

I was in the same quandary on my .300. I'm happy with it and now I'm considering putting a brake on all my rifles. I went with a Harrells. Good price and customer service.

Put a brake on it, but take every care to protect your hearing, at all times. SoundGear works well for hunting.

The difference between one with or without is negligible without hearing protection...I hated brakes in my youth now almost all my rifles wear one...I shoot better with them bar none...

The difference between one with or without is negligible without hearing protection...I hated brakes in my youth now almost all my rifles wear one...I shoot better with them bar none...

My father was the same way until we inherited a braked 8lb 300WM that shot felt like a 243 and an unbraked 7lb 7mm mag that was miserable to shoot and we now pay the extra cash to brake anything larger than a 270. We are hunters, but the brake makes a comfortable gun to shoot and takes out some human error you may not know you had. I'm young, healthy, I even shoot 3 1/2" 12 gauge for fun varmint removal, but in a big bore rifle I want to shoot accurately I will have a brake installed, it's night and day.

Ask your gunsmith if he makes brakes to fit your rifle's contours, that's how ours are. I've never bought one to be threaded on but expect it to be slightly over-sized to your barrel. It shouldn't be a problem to install either way.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.