To brake or not to brake...

I find the outdoor range where I shoot empties out when I'm testing a new load and that's a good thing hehe. I shoot a 300 Rum with a PainKiller brake and it makes a punisher into a pussycat. If Publishers Clearing House calls maybe I will be able to afford a suppresser but do I need another foot added to my 26" barrel

Me two! Me three, four, and five through 13 also!!!

I thought gun ranges were supposed to be loud. Who'd of thunk otherwise...

My brother has a Ruger american in 6.5 creedmore. They are light guns recoil is not bad I shoot a 06 with 215 bergers @2850 FPS and do not use a brake. Recoil is fine.

how are you getting 2850 on a 215 with a 30-06? that's more than I get with the 300 WM

Me two! Me three, four, and five through 13 also!!!

I thought gun ranges were supposed to be loud. Who'd of thunk otherwise...
Jimmy didn't have time to get out to the ranch to sight in his new .338L Savage that came with their obnoxious factory brake.

He went instead to a local DFW indoor range to do so.

He said it was awful busy when he walked in but suddenly emptied out before he got to his third shot! ;)

I don't run a brake on my 300wm for.the reason I don't want.to have to put ear plugs in while hunting. Recoil is.nothing while hunting.

Radial brakes are one of the worst for noise.

I think flinching is the most natural reaction in the world when shooting high powered rifles.
And flinching can be learned and recorded in the brain. So when I shoot for zero checks and groups, I do everything possible to reduce both noise and recoil. My choice is an efficient side-ported brake with the best combo of hearing protection I can muster up.
I don't subscribe to the oft-stated opinion that "recoil is never felt shooting at game", so recoil reduction isn't warranted or necessary.

Our brain controls our muscles, and the brain reinforces learned behaviors. It does what it's been trained to do. Then add in the excitement associated with the only shot that counts - on game.

Flinching is the greatest cause of error in shot placement on game, IMO, from a normally and otherwise accomplished marksman.

I don't run a brake on my 300wm for.the reason I don't want.to have to put ear plugs in while hunting. Recoil is.nothing while hunting.

Radial brakes are one of the worst for noise.
Actually even worse are the slab sided brakes that sharply angle the discharge back towards the shooter. They are absolutely brutal.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.