To muzzle break or not to muzzle break

Well, this particular rifle I will be wearing hearing protection any time that I fire it.

None of my other rifles have brakes, this rifle will not be one that I pack through the woods, for that I will either carry my .06 or .44 lever action, which I can deal with the blast for that one or two shots for the year! I always wear hearing protection any other time but hunting!

I will get used to the air blast coming back, just caught me off guard since I wasn't expecting it!!

Well, this particular rifle I will be wearing hearing protection any time that I fire it.

None of my other rifles have brakes, this rifle will not be one that I pack through the woods, for that I will either carry my .06 or .44 lever action, which I can deal with the blast for that one or two shots for the year! I always wear hearing protection any other time but hunting!

I will get used to the air blast coming back, just caught me off guard since I wasn't expecting it!!
Can you post a pic of your brake? It would be interesting to see

The last couple seasons I've hunting suppressed. Before that, I used to hunt with my .300 rum and then realised I couldnt spot my hits. Installed a JP break and wore ear protection after that. Cant be happier hunting suppressed though.

Its stupid to not wear hearing protection. I've worn protection for 20 plus years. Had the plug out of my left ear for a minute while adjusting my hat and the plug. Some geese came in unnoticed. After the first honk I instinctively raised up and fired. My left ear went immediately deaf and started ringing. Took 6 days for my hearing to return, but the ringing never left. I've had tinnitus as a result for 16 years. I now wear a set of ESP digital hearing aids which are the most comfortable and effective hearing protection I've ever used. By the way, all my guns are braked...

For those of mine that wear brakes, I leave them on for hunting. Even though years ago, I still bear a faint quarter moon scar from going prone with an non-braked thin barrel, lite weight 300RUM. :(

Last edited:
I used to be a proponent of not having a brake on a hunting rifle. But I have so much hearing damage now from the Army, training, and competitions that I have to have hearing protection on. So now I wouldn't be against having a brake on any rifle.

muzzle breaks with the side discharge(slightly backwards) are very effective in reduction of recoil, but I can't stand them.

I use a Gentry that throws the concussion forward, I think that most guys that use the Gentry muzzle break love them.

muzzle breaks with the side discharge(slightly backwards) are very effective in reduction of recoil, but
I use a Gentry that throws the concussion forward, I think that most guys that use the Gentry muzzle break love them.
Does that not increase recoil? Dont know if I would want that on my 375 H&H

I'd leave it on otherwise you risk POI changes. Just go to Wal Mart and get everyone in your hunting party a set of ear plugs that have the plastic tether so you can keep them around your necks while hunting. You should protect your hearing anyway even with no brake.

Just don't forget to put them in like my father did last your before shooting his Coues deer.

I'm sorry, I may have used the wrong words. I said blast, what I am referring to is the air movement back at me. Honestly it was unexpected. I'll just have to get used to it. And yes hearing protection is going to be used.

Thank you for the reply's, just thought maybe someone here may actually take the brake off for hunting.

I'm sorry, I may have used the wrong words. I said blast, what I am referring to is the air movement back at me. Honestly it was unexpected. I'll just have to get used to it. And yes hearing protection is going to be used.

Thank you for the reply's, just thought maybe someone here may actually take the brake off for hunting.
My cousin has one on his 7mag Shooting 3/8 moa. Took it off an put thread protector on an is shooting on 1" moa.

Does that not increase recoil? Dont know if I would want that on my 375 H&H

Here's a one test with a brake threaded on both ends. Today I used the Weatherby Mark V ultralight six lug action without the scope. It has a Pac-Nor 26" barrel. The rifle weighs 5 lb 10oz. The load consisted of .270 Winchester cases necked down and blown out leaving about 3/16" neck. H4831 from WW2 @ 65.0 grains was ignited by a Federal 215 Magnum primer. The average velocity for the eighty-five grain G.S.Custom bullets was slightly over 3,800 feet per second. I fired three shots with each setup to verify the free recoil travel information generated.

Without a brake:
14 7/8"
14 5/16"
14 5/16"

Average - 14 ½"

With the brake installed so the ports angled toward the front:

4 5/8"
4 7/8"
4 7/8"

Average - 4 13/16"
reduction – 66.8%

With the brake installed so the ports angled toward the rear:

3"
3 ¼"
3 5/16"

Average - 3 3/16"
Reduction – 78%

Here's a one test with a brake threaded on both ends. Today I used the Weatherby Mark V ultralight six lug action without the scope. It has a Pac-Nor 26" barrel. The rifle weighs 5 lb 10oz. The load consisted of .270 Winchester cases necked down and blown out leaving about 3/16" neck. H4831 from WW2 @ 65.0 grains was ignited by a Federal 215 Magnum primer. The average velocity for the eighty-five grain G.S.Custom bullets was slightly over 3,800 feet per second. I fired three shots with each setup to verify the free recoil travel information generated.

Without a brake:
14 7/8"
14 5/16"
14 5/16"

Average - 14 ½"

With the brake installed so the ports angled toward the front:

4 5/8"
4 7/8"
4 7/8"

Average - 4 13/16"
reduction – 66.8%

With the brake installed so the ports angled toward the rear:

3"
3 ¼"
3 5/16"

Average - 3 3/16"
Reduction – 78%
Great info thanks, very interesting results
How did you set up to measure the recoil travel?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.