To muzzle break or not to muzzle break

I just got my 33 nosler together and have only fired it maybe 10 times.
It's not the first rifle that I've had a break on but needed on this one!
I put a MBM Beast on it and the back blast is very noticeable!
I have to say that I have never been a fan of a break mainly because of the added noise.

My question is do any of you remove the break for hunting season?
Usually when hunting you don't even feel the rifle go off.

Gary
Nope...stays on ....but nothing to stop you from taking yours off....would lighten the gun up too

For you folks that do a "lot" of shooting, I can certainly see and understand why you would want one. For a rifle that is only used for hunting, and zero verifications, meaning very few shots fired....I see them "only" as a detriment! Unless, the shooter has a shoulder problem.....which is an entirely different situation.

Unless the recoil exceeds 60 or so ft/lbs. it should be quite tolerable in a hunting type scenario. Hell, my wife hunts with an "un-braked" (she absolutely hates brakes), sub 9 lb., .338 WM.....and is very lethal with it. She'll be the first one to tell you that she "does not" enjoy bench work....but when shooting game....she doesn't notice the recoil! memtb

People have to understand that ANY firearm can/will cause hearing loss. Weather you like brakes or not, You should wear hearing protection !

We have tested many different brakes and designed also and found that the big difference is perceived sound by the shooter. Using a DB Meter we found that the difference in a braked and a non braked rifle was from 104 DB to 108 DB. and that is way above the recommended noise level and can/will do damage to your ears.

Ask any "Old Timer" if he has perfect hearing and the answer will be the same NO and if he has been hunting all his life, he probably has a ringing in his ears.

Once I excepted the fact that one shot from a rifle braked or not does damage, I stopped worrying about brakes all together and wear herring protection all the time or at least when I shoot.

As discussed earlier, the location and angle has a major bearing on the perceived sound, but does very little to change it. Recoil reduction has more to do with the design than the angle of the ports.

There is no such thing as a quite brake or a rifle so unless you use a can to lower the report. Wear hearing protection.

J E CUSTOM

I damaged my hearing when a teenager. We didn't have hearing protection then but I probably wouldn't have used it anyway. Now I am paying the price as I am nearly deaf. EVERY gun shot (with or without a brake) without hearing protection damages your hearing. I wear muffs around my neck (muffs required since I now wear hearing aids to hear at all) or on my arm. It takes about 2 sec. to put them on and for long range you generally have a lot of time anyway. Wear protection or suffer the consequences later.

I use Vais breaks if I have a chance and the blast is negligible to the shooter if any. Noise is louder I'm sure but not significantly to the shooter. Sound wave and blast wave should travel together so if you are feeling blast then your getting sound and vise versa.

Leave it on but if you hunt in snow and icy conditions wrap the brake and end of your barrel to keep ice out and for a little back up put a few wraps of tape around your barrel for later use

I have to say that I have never been a fan of a break mainly because of the added noise.

Gary
You can try wrapping the break with cloth something like a thick sock.

1. Hearing protection aside, almost EVERYONE will shoot a rifle that recoils less better. Anything above 15 ft/lbs of recoil is a candidate for a Muzzlebrake in my opinion. Quite a few of the brakes available on the market also control muzzle rise which is another added benefit to BETTER MARKSMANSHIP because of a muzzle device.

2. Where I hunt (Oklahoma and Texas) suppressor's are legal for hunting so all problems are solved...

My $.02

S/F

Gary
I have a brake on my CZ550 375 H&H which was custom made by Steve of Precision Arms in Ontario
Mainly for recoil as I am a small old guy
I leave it on and wear ear muffs as plugs dont fit my ears properly
I have hearing loss caused by working in noisy enviroments as well as hunting many years
My advice wear ear protection, it will get you eventually

No.
Gary

Wow 3 pages in and NOBODY said it DIRECTLY . That's nice. Just a round about way. When I did it it when I first joined it was 2 posts in lol. We are getting more tolerant. Nice . :)

And I know you all know what I am talking about. :)

Now to the post I have brake on my 7mm mag for spotting my shots not necessarily for recoil reduction. I have a Holland quick discharge BRAKE and it is pretty amazing.

I have many rifles that I have put muzzle brakes on. most notably are my 300 RUM, 375 H&H, 338 L/M, and a very unruly 270 Winchester that always seems to hurt my shoulder. To be honest my Tikka 695 has the smallest chamber I have ever had on a 270 Win. it is also my most accurate gun I own. the muzzle brake... wait that is the last rifle I put a brake on.. I have yet to try that one out. all of the rest of the muzzle brakes make the rifles they are on tolerable to shoot. they have one more attribute as well. they have improved accuracy. I never take muzzle brakes off once they are on.

Well, it seems I have stirred a hornets nest!

All good information, thanks again for all the reply's:)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.