muzzle break

It's been my experience that accuracy increases with a break. Recoil reduction really helps in having more confidence in follow through with your shots. I enjoy having a break on my rifle.

Tank

Greg,

What they said. Plus, a few things to check...

First, make sure the brake is snug and hasn't loosened up.

Next make sure the bullet isn't grazing the brake on egress.

Correct either of those problems.

If everything looks good, then you might want to remove the brake and verify that the gun still shoots as expected.

Make sure the crown wasn't damaged during installation.

Perhaps the action screws didn't get torqued properly or the scope is loose from the install procedure?

Make sure the barrel is floated properly.

If the gun shoots fine without the brake, inspect the brake more closely and see if the bore needs to be opened up a tad.

Let us know what you find.

-- richard

Richard its not my rifle ! Bout 2 more weeks on it ! Was talking to my smith bout putting one on. N he told me he built one for a guy that was 1/2 rifle then the guy wanted a brake put on. Then it was 2" gun the brake had the clearance ! I'm going to have one installed

1st, a muzzle brake can offer a rifle better accuacy potential simply because the rifle does not jump around as much and lessens the gas blow by as the bullet exits the muzzle. 2nd, and more important, they make YOU more accurate because you do not want to flinch and will execute a smoother shot.

That said, if you have developed a load for a rifle without a brake and introduce a weight at the end of your barrel be it a muzzle brake or a paper weight it WILL change the harmonics period. It may affect the accuracy for the better or for the worse. If the rifle WAS shooting good, then the addition should not reduce the accuracy potential of that rifle but it sure can and will change the accuracy of a GIVEN load.

It is common to have to re-tune a load after adding a brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts