Muzzle break

Its not recoil that causes muzzle jump, just a badly fitted stock.

Please elaborate. I am all about having a good stock fit but there is a force that is generating recoil and muzzle rise. Most muzzle brake test stands like Nathan's are strapped/secured in place because the force coming out off the barrel causes the muzzle to rise regardless of fit. Managing the rise through handling, check weld, etc , is another story. Cheers!

Last edited:
one more person here that loves the MBM brakes--- I have 4 rifles now with them on them-- I prefer a close to flush look so I go with the 1 pc max port baby beast (.750" OD, 4 port for my 7rm and 7wsm, and 3 port for the 308w and 6.5cm)

I compared them to the vids of the terminator brakes and they work just as well but less than 1/2 the price and you can get them "custom" designed for an additional small fee -- your choice of bullet diameter, can get some turned down, most can be tapered to match the OD of your barrel, bead blasted or cera-koted if you like also --great service and a fabulous product in my eyes

I personally compared the max port baby beast 3 port to the m4-72 on a 16" lightweight 308w rifle and the baby beast reduces the recoil more than the m4-72 does

Last edited:
IMG_0723.JPG

JP Enterprises "Recoil Eliminator" AKA "JP Tank"
I've got a few of these on several varmint rifles not just for the recoil reduction, mainly for the reduction of muzzle rise for the ability to see the bullet strike. I recently had a Vais brake installed on my .300 Wby shooting 210 grain bullets. I could not tell any difference in recoil reduction. With the JP Tank installed, recoil is very much reduced with no muzzle rise/jump... Amazing.....
Replacing a existing Vais brake with any other style is a bit of a pain, due to the fact Vais uses 32 tpi. I searched and found a good adapter coupling 32 tpi X 1/2" tpi that worked very well.

The Tank may not be the prettiest brake out there, however, it works as advertised!

The smith who going to the brake for me says he only uses vais brakes. Think I trust his judgment he builds 1st class rifles. Has anybody heard of Foster Cook and the builds he does he has a great reputation here I central Kentucky.

The smith who going to the brake for me says he only uses vais brakes. Think I trust his judgment he builds 1st class rifles. Has anybody heard of Foster Cook and the builds he does he has a great reputation here I central Kentucky.

Vais would not be my choice as there are far more effective MBs out in the market. Just have him thread the muzzle and pick your own self-indexing muzzle brakes' there's a few of them ...

- https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/beast-2-piece-brakes

- http://www.piercisionrifles.com/brakes/

- https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/collections/gen-2-muzzle-brakes

- https://patriotvalleyarms.com/muzzle-brakes/

... and many more.

Last edited:
I agree with Feenix, there are MUCH better brakes than the Vais. If you shoot prone, you'll definitely not like the Vais brake.

I like the Shrewd brake. Have one of each of my mildcat rifles. I have them "contoured-in" to look like part of the barrel. No indexing required. They come in four or five diameters; just turn them down to fit your muzzle diameter...

Attachments

• shrewd-brake.JPG
    shrewd-brake.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 226
I have had most of the top rated brakes, MBM, APA, Terminator etc. my current go to is the self timing brakes made by Scott Weichel at Live Oak Accuracy in TX.

Scott's brake reduces the recoil of my 338 Edge with 300gr Berger's at 3000 FPS down to almost nothing.

Sorry that it's grainy but here is a video of Scott's brake in use on a buddy's Edge also with 300gr Berger's:

Attachments

• 6AF6FD0E-5527-4182-A27B-D6E68B605C89.jpeg
    6AF6FD0E-5527-4182-A27B-D6E68B605C89.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
I have a ten-second video of my brother shooting my .358-caliber mildcat; it has the Shrewd brake on the rifle. It's an .mp4 file of 3400-some Kb. It's not on youtube; just in my Pictures folder. How do I post it here?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.