To Brake or Not to Brake?

midwesthunter

Building a 7mm STW with a 30" sedero contour barrel. Should I put a brake on this or no? I'm a big boy and recoil doesn't bother me but would be nice to not have the gun jump.

Building a 7mm STW with a 30" sedero contour barrel. Should I put a brake on this or no? I'm a big boy and recoil doesn't bother me but would be nice to not have the gun jump.

I wouldn't !

With 30 inches of barrel it would become very long, and with the sendero barrel contour
recoil will be mild.

With the longer barrels and the right crown you don't have to ware ear protection, (even
though you should).

But with a break you MUST wear some kind of hearing protection.

J E CUSTOM

I wouldn't. I don't imagine the rifle is gonna jump much with that 30" varmint profile barrel, unless you're shooting max load 168/180's. What are you planning on feeding your new baby? JohnnyK.

I'm on the other side of the fence.....

I would for sure. I felt the same as those who posted against it. That is until I had a 7WSM built with a badger break. I had a thread protector made thinking I may not like a break, but honestly I can't imagine taking it off. It may have to do with the type of break, but mine is only loud to those sitting or standing beside me when I shoot. It's the style with the ports only on the sides, not the bottom or top.....highly recomended.

I shot an STW for years......get a good style break and you'll love it. I promise!

Thanks for the responces, I will mainly be using this for hunting but will punch some paper to show off a little what it can do hopefully. I plan on sending 140 grainers down it as fast and acurate as possible.

I have a Holland QD brake on a 12.6 lb 270 extreme magnum.

Recoil w/o the brake recoil is mild but with it recoil is about non existent. With a proper setup shots can be spotted at all distances. (Note: proper set up is difficult except off of the bench)

The only complaint is that when carrying it through the woods with the 30" barrel plus the brake, the muzzle bangs in to a few trees until I get used to the length.

Oh, there's the constant hearing protection, which I have gotten used to and even enjoy on cold days.

My 7STW has a Kirby Allen brake.

My only varmint rifle without a brake is a 220 Rocket. Unlike my braked varminters (243AI, 22-250AI, 22-243), it's always been annoyingly difficult to see bullet strikes with this rifle.

The good news is that the Rocket's barrel is losing its accuracy, and the new barrel will definitely be fitted with a brake.

FWIW, I shot a brakeless sporter weight .338 (successfully) for years because I didn't know any better. Now that I've experienced rifles with muzzle brakes, I'd recommend them for any centerfire rifle...well, maybe except a 22 Hornet.

I never owned a braked rifle the first 35 years of shooting. Two years ago I had brakes installed on two rifles, a 300 Win Mag and a 338 Edge. Everything about the brakes is a positive except the additional noise, and the extended barrel length. If your gunsmith is local, you could always try it without a brake first, and then if you're unhappy with it, have the brake installed later. The additional fee to install one after the fact wouldn't be too great. Ask your gunsmith about the difference in cost. If you've never shot a rifle with a muzzle brake, I would recommend trying one. Maybe your gunsmith has a braked rifle he could let you shoot a couple times. That might help you decide. They're pretty darn nice.

I now prefer a brake if the rifle kicks very much. 140 grain bullets out of the varmint weight 7mm STW shouldn't kick terribly bad. 180s would kick more and get to about the point where I'd prefer a brake. If you're not going to pack the rifle around through the woods and brush alot, you might go with the muzzle brake right from the get go. They do make shooting the rifle more enjoyable, and I think many people will shoot better if they get kicked less.

I shoot 8 1/2 lb 7mm Rem Mags with 168gr Bergers with no brakes and they're OK. But the recoil is just about to the point where a muzzle brake would be nice. I can't see bullet hits even at long range with either of my 7mm Rem Mags because they jump too much under recoil.

Last edited:
In January of 2008 my buddy and I bought matching Senderos in 300 Ultra and didn't shot them quite often over the course of a little over a year with no brakes. Neither one of us are very big, but we have been shooting unbraked big game rifles and magnums since well before we were teenagers, and the Ultra Mags weren't what we considered all that bad. Well after my buddy got his knucke busted open a couple of times from the bolt handle under recoil, we decided it was time to calm those mean SOB's down. A couple of months ago, we packed them up and sent them off to Carlock for his Edge Brake. We got them back, put them back together and took them out and shot them. I've spent my fair share of cash on guns and equipment over the years and I will say this - THAT WAS THE BEST MONEY I HAVE EVER SPENT ON SHOOTING - PERIOD. The guns now recoil like a sporter weight 243. I can spot shots at most distances, I am very relaxed and comfortable in all field shooting positions, and I am more focused on the fundamentals of the shot instead of controlling the recoil after the shot. The only downside I can see is a couple extra inches of barrel length and extra noise. I would say get the brake put on from the start. I will have them installed on all new guns as well as a few in the safe from now on.You won't regret it and if the noise and length are bothersome, you can have a thread cap made. Best of luck!

I never shot a rifle with a brake until a year ago. I installed a hollands brake on a 7mm ultra mag and it was amazing. I now have the same brake on my 30-06 and will never shoot without a brake again. Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.