Brass sorting

If you have the time, I found these two videos on Erik Cortina's site showing his discussion with Jack Neary to be very interesting:

The Hornady Podcast also had some interesting thoughts on it in a recent episode.

The short answer - it's not worth it.

Interesting videos especially with Eric listening to Jack about neck turning.
I have been doing something like Jack Neary for many years with brass and designing our own Reamers.
I still have other shooters laugh at me and say "Oh you don't have to do the things you do! It's a waste of time." They are happy if they hit a 14" piece of steel. I am only happy if I hit within a 4" spot a 1K.

Interesting videos especially with Eric listening to Jack about neck turning.
I have been doing something like Jack Neary for many years with brass and designing our own Reamers.
I still have other shooters laugh at me and say "Oh you don't have to do the things you do! It's a waste of time." They are happy if they hit a 14" piece of steel. I am only happy if I hit within a 4" spot a 1K.
I think we get into the weeds too much following the BR world. Excellent info from highly OCD folks but most here are not running custom chambers that require neck turning. Those who do are much more in tune with the process and likely won't even reply to this post. This page, long range hunters, I am willing to bet is full of saami spec chambers vs custom. Neck skimming is beneficial tho. I've stopped doing it simply because of the mandrel. I really don't like reloading, it's just a necessary process to the get the level of accuracy and repeatability desired. The less time at the bench and more time in the field, the happier I am. ha ha

I think we get into the weeds too much following the BR world. Excellent info from highly OCD folks but most here are not running custom chambers that require neck turning. Those who do are much more in tune with the process and likely won't even reply to this post. This page, long range hunters, I am willing to bet is full of saami spec chambers vs custom. Neck skimming is beneficial tho. I've stopped doing it simply because of the mandrel. I really don't like reloading, it's just a necessary process to the get the level of accuracy and repeatability desired. The less time at the bench and more time in the field, the happier I am. ha ha
Agreed
This is a LRH Forum and a lot of "Just Hunters" reload by getting brass, running through a sizer Die. Priming, weighing powder and putting into the brass and then stuffing a bullet on top.
However their are a few that want good accuracy for those 4-500+ yds on PDs or 800yds for a Elk of a lifetime.
I am one of the OCD reloaders and was not too much of time at the reloading station when doing 50 cartridges at a time.
Over the past few years with my spinal cord issues I slacked off on reloading. Now these past few days i have sever thousand to load with precision. I just got done with the de-priming and SS wet tumbling. I already reamed the Flash hole on most, and neck turned now have to uniform primer pockets, anneal with our Amp, full length size, bump back 0.002 and re-check neck turn and cut. then case trim with a Henderson and Foster Three way cutter. After that will Prime with a Primal Rights CPS - Competition Primer Seater, then measure the powder out with a VS-4 Trickler & AD120i. to finish off with Widden Seating Die or RCBS Matchmaster.
Then off to the range OR Yote/Hog hunt.

Big difference shooting precision rifles to loading for 9mm & .45 cal. for Pistols. We have a RCBS 2000 Pro progressive reloader and can crank out hundreds of cartridges once it is set up correctly. Just have to keep feeding it bullets, brass, primers & powder. Every crank of the handle a complete loaded cartridge pops out. Can do the same with rifle cartridges, but not the same precision accuracy a a hand loaded cartridge.

Agreed
This is a LRH Forum and a lot of "Just Hunters" reload by getting brass, running through a sizer Die. Priming, weighing powder and putting into the brass and then stuffing a bullet on top.
However their are a few that want good accuracy for those 4-500+ yds on PDs or 800yds for a Elk of a lifetime.
I am one of the OCD reloaders and was not too much of time at the reloading station when doing 50 cartridges at a time.
Over the past few years with my spinal cord issues I slacked off on reloading. Now these past few days i have sever thousand to load with precision. I just got done with the de-priming and SS wet tumbling. I already reamed the Flash hole on most, and neck turned now have to uniform primer pockets, anneal with our Amp, full length size, bump back 0.002 and re-check neck turn and cut. then case trim with a Henderson and Foster Three way cutter. After that will Prime with a Primal Rights CPS - Competition Primer Seater, then measure the powder out with a VS-4 Trickler & AD120i. to finish off with Widden Seating Die or RCBS Matchmaster.
Then off to the range OR Yote/Hog hunt.

Big difference shooting precision rifles to loading for 9mm & .45 cal. for Pistols. We have a RCBS 2000 Pro progressive reloader and can crank out hundreds of cartridges once it is set up correctly. Just have to keep feeding it bullets, brass, primers & powder. Every crank of the handle a complete loaded cartridge pops out. Can do the same with rifle cartridges, but not the same precision accuracy a a hand loaded cartridge.
Your process seems normal-ish for most long range shooters in my world. Only exception is neck turning. I'm still on the fence if there is any benefit for a saami chamber. I've done it for years and stopped once I went to a mandrel. I couldn't see any significant advantage in my testing. Without a mandrel I skim turn for sure so 90% of the necks are uniform and usually only cull 1-2 cases.

Your process seems normal-ish for most long range shooters in my world. Only exception is neck turning. I'm still on the fence if there is any benefit for a saami chamber. I've done it for years and stopped once I went to a mandrel. I couldn't see any significant advantage in my testing. Without a mandrel I skim turn for sure so 90% of the necks are uniform and usually only cull 1-2 cases.
BrentM
Hope that you and your family are doing well and in good health.
Turning case necks can benefit greatly if you have a chamber that was "Cut" at a certain dimension and you have a Die Set with Bushings. You can then get specific "Neck Tension" for your bullet release.
Even with a SAAMI cut Chamber you can benefit from turning necks. Now you are not going to get the same advantage as a sizing die with bushings BUT you can have your case necks "Concentric" which will help with bullet release. If you take your case and just neck turn to take any high spots off (and each case neck the same thickness) which in turn will make your neck "Concentric" When you size your brass in the SAAMI reamer the neck will have the same thickness so the same release pressure.
I already know that the hunting /shooting and even the competition world some will disagree with "Turning Necks" and that it is an extra step that takes time and no benefit.
I never have and will never try to talk a reloader into "Turning Necks". I do it because I have done the research and have "My Results" on My Shooting.
Also you have to Turn Necks CORRECLTY if you are going to do it. You can mess the brass up if doing it incorrectly and with inferior tools.

BrentM
Hope that you and your family are doing well and in good health.
Turning case necks can benefit greatly if you have a chamber that was "Cut" at a certain dimension and you have a Die Set with Bushings. You can then get specific "Neck Tension" for your bullet release.
Even with a SAAMI cut Chamber you can benefit from turning necks. Now you are not going to get the same advantage as a sizing die with bushings BUT you can have your case necks "Concentric" which will help with bullet release. If you take your case and just neck turn to take any high spots off (and each case neck the same thickness) which in turn will make your neck "Concentric" When you size your brass in the SAAMI reamer the neck will have the same thickness so the same release pressure.
I already know that the hunting /shooting and even the competition world some will disagree with "Turning Necks" and that it is an extra step that takes time and no benefit.
I never have and will never try to talk a reloader into "Turning Necks". I do it because I have done the research and have "My Results" on My Shooting.
Also you have to Turn Necks CORRECLTY if you are going to do it. You can mess the brass up if doing it incorrectly and with inferior tools.

Yes, turning necks whether using a bushing or standard die uniforms the neck thickness. Outside to inside. Advantage is skim turning to just clean up the necks in a saami chamber. No need to discuss custom chambers and turning, everyone knows that is required. Using a mandrel expanding die removes the neck thickness issue equation from the conversation to a large degree since you are expanding inside to the outside. Inside to outside expansion creates a uniform inside diameter, advantage to turning is almost completely removed unless the brass is just crap to begin with.