Sorting bullets?

Blacktail63

When you sort bullets for long range shooting what increments of weight and length do you use? .2gr - .5gr on weight etc. what distance to ogive variance is acceptable .001"?

Thanks

I sort to +/- . 1 gr. weight. Then sort the bearing surface to +/- .001 thou.
I basically do it like the article below. I find that Hornady bullets need more sorting than Bergers. I'll end up with 3-4 bins of Bergers and 6-7 of Hornady. I shoot the bullets in groups by their weight.

Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep

Sorting can really help vertical. I used to shoot some local 600 yards competitions and when you are keeping score, you'll see the results of sorting.

I still do the same for all my competition rifles, I also try and carry over a lot of the same techniques over when I reload for my hunting rifles. Then I also have to realize just how accurate the rife is. I have some rifles that now matter what I do they shoot roughly an inch (barely). While others will shoot 1/4 groups.
Reloading can be extremely time consuming especially when you are trying to split hairs. Others will say it's not worth it but at the end if it makes me comfortable then it is

Memo

I still do the same for all my competition rifles, I also try and carry over a lot of the same techniques over when I reload for my hunting rifles. Then I also have to realize just how accurate the rife is. I have some rifles that now matter what I do they shoot roughly an inch (barely). While others will shoot 1/4 groups.
Reloading can be extremely time consuming especially when you are trying to split hairs. Others will say it's not worth it but at the end if it makes me comfortable then it is

Memo

Once you have a system down, doesn't seem to take too long. I do the same for hunting too. Call me crazy, but at least I know when the money shot comes, it's not going to be some odd ball bullet and shoot 4" high at 700 yards. If my shot was off to start with, it could be a problem. Out of a box of Amax I will usually have 3 or 4 that might be a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts