One and done-sort of

Buna

I've got a budget of 5g. I want to build a rifle from ground up capable of being competitive (within my abilities) in the occasional F class competition as well as some occasional long range hunting situations on white tails to 1,200 yds. I reload so basically any chambering is open for discussion. This will be my first custom build and I'm looking for opinions concerning action, chambering and optics. My main concern is something that I enjoy to shoot (recoil wise) and that I can switch barrels if needed without sending the action to a smith. I currently own a number of factory rifles from 223 to 300wm. Looking for some opinions on what some of you would do given this budget.

I can't help you much on a switch barrel action, I'm sure there plenty of folks who will chime in soon with more experience in that area besides me. I have a good friend who runs a bat action with multiple barrels. I've heard defiance tolerance is so tight that you can have someone spin up a barrel for it without the action in hand but I can't personally confirm that. Sorry, I'm not much help.

Clayton @ WTO/West Texas Ordnance builds very accurate long range rifles with a SwitchLug that allows you to change barrels using just a torque wrench.

Of course, there are many excellent smiths around the country. You'll get a lot of info and suggestions here if you will be more specific about what you are looking for.

I have 4 SwitchLug rifles from WTO and if I need a new barrel, I just send it in to be chambered. He keeps very accurate records and does not need the rifle. Check the WTO website for videos and he has a rifle builder, so you can fool around.

Last edited:
I have a switch lug rifle built on a big horn origin action, I have all 3 bolt heads. I can go from 223 rem, to 6.5 creedmoor, to 6.5 saum, barrel, and bolt head change takes 5 minute's. All three barrels are within 1/2 moa after the switch. I also have a shouldered barrel that was made by preferred barrels, that i can screw on, and torque down in 308 win. you can change it with a vise on the tailgate of the truck. you can order the barrels prefit from them. I put mine on torqued to 35 ft/lbs. and the headspace was perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts