Match bullets.......Hunting bullets???

Nice, thank you Sir
I think it will all depend on the throat on your 7-08. You could probably glean some of the 7 SAW loads too since they are close. If single feed then it would all depend on how far you can seat out to. I'll be watching lol.

Ok I'm fairly inexperienced with different bullets. Over the years I didn't really shoot targets much. Only to sight my rifle in for deer season. So I shot factory winchester power points and rarely shot over 100 yards. We just didn't have the money to set and shoot.
Anyway things change and recently I have got into the long range shooting and reloading my own bullets. There is sooooooooo much out there. Not that you can find anything anymore. But I put a post up about questionable hunting bullet, and got some folks that sounds like they hunt with MATCH bullets. I was told Match bullets were for the range. But now hearing guys are hunting with them. You guys got any opinions on this?

We have used the Amax bullet for hunting and it has performed flawlessly, even gone through the shoulder and turned vitals to smush. I prefer soft bullets, hunting bonded bullets like the Accubond have left a really bad taste in my mouth so I avoid those now, well placed shots and just a poor performance, due to little damage to vitals and slow death to the animals we tried them on.

I recommend you do some research and try out what you believe might work for you and see what happens.

I have mostly used tipped bullets like Ballistic Tips, SST's and Amax for hunting with great success, until a couple years ago. I tried the Bergers and they worked great, so now every hunting rifle we have has a load with a TIpped bullet and/or a Berger.

One more note, this year I'll be trying out the 160gr Sierra Tipped Matchking on deer and see how it does, I've read and heard good things about them.

hunting bonded bullets like the Accubond have left a really bad taste in my mouth so I avoid those now, well placed shots and just a poor performance, due to little damage to vitals and slow death to the animals we tried them on.
LVJ76 can you please elaborate on the bad experience's? I also use soft bullets on deer size game but only use accubond on elk size game and haven't had any problems. I'm curious about the bullet weight and velocity and was this a more than one time incident?

LVJ76 can you please elaborate on the bad experience's? I also use soft bullets on deer size game but only use accubond on elk size game and haven't had any problems. I'm curious about the bullet weight and velocity and was this a more than one time incident?

Of course Sir

140gr Accubond out if a 270 WSM, hit a coues deer through the shoulder at around 85 yds, impact velocity around 2,950 fps. Perfect mushroom rested under hide on opposite side. Lungs has little damage and it took the deer a bit to expire.

140gr Accubond out of a 7mm-08, hit a javelina at 180 yds, impact velocity around 2,500 fps. Around 15 minutes later I got to the area I shot him, javelina popped up in a slow run and finished it with a neck shot. Lungs again showed little damage and it simply should've not been alive after 15 minutes.

These are the only two kills with an Accubond and that was enough for me. maybe the game was too light for an Accubond, but a deer shot through the shoulder I expected more damage to the lungs.

It simply lacks the explosive damage from an SST or Amax.

Of course Sir

140gr Accubond out if a 270 WSM, hit a coues deer through the shoulder at around 85 yds, impact velocity around 2,950 fps. Perfect mushroom rested under hide on opposite side. Lungs has little damage and it took the deer a bit to expire.

140gr Accubond out of a 7mm-08, hit a javelina at 180 yds, impact velocity around 2,500 fps. Around 15 minutes later I got to the area I shot him, javelina popped up in a slow run and finished it with a neck shot. Lungs again showed little damage and it simply should've not been alive after 15 minutes.

These are the only two kills with an Accubond and that was enough for me. maybe the game was too light for an Accubond, but a deer shot through the shoulder I expected more damage to the lungs.

I guess it comes down to confidence in a bullet and once you lose it it's gone and time for something different until it fails to deliver. I'd imagine that's why we have so many choices for bullets now a day. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Of course Sir

Sounds like accubonds work… "until they don't." 😉

Different bullets for different situations. Seems logical to me!!!

I never comment on these post but every time I read them all I can think about is this scene.

tommy-boy-guarantee.gif

I test all bullets I plan to use and use different bullets for different jobs/animals. I also don't discard or overlook a bullet because of what it says on the box.

I guess it comes down to confidence in a bullet and once you lose it it's gone and time for something different until it fails to deliver. I'd imagine that's why we have so many choices for bullets now a day. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Don't mention it. Yes, there are so many options that before every hunt I'm always thinking, which one is going to get used this time?

Sounds like accubonds work… "until they don't." 😉

Different bullets for different situations. Seems logical to me!!!

Yes, I would not use a 7mm 150gr Ballistic tip on an Elk, but a 162gr SST? It does a nice job on them. Pick the bullet for the right job, and shot placement if course.

There's still no magical do it all bullet.

Don't mention it. Yes, there are so many options that before every hunt I'm always thinking, which one is going to get used this time?

Yes, I would not use a 7mm 150gr Ballistic tip on an Elk, but a 162gr SST? It does a nice job on them. Pick the bullet for the right job, and shot placement if course.

There's still no magical do it all bullet.
But if there was what would it be 🥴?

I'll defend the use of match bullets and light monos at warp all day and still if I could only ever use one projectile for hunting all North American big game species at a variety of ranges I'd probably opt for the federal trophy bonded tip or newer version, terminal ascent.

Fun fact, they did ballistic gel tests on a bunch of hunting bullets (can't remember which publication) at 100 and 400 yards and the trophy bonded tip was the only one that penetrated less at 400 than it did at 100 because even at reduced velocities it expands so darn well. And that solid copper shank means there is no maximum velocity. Tough to beat that.

A target bullet is just whatever bullet I shoot at targets. A hunting bullet is whatever bullet I shoot at game. I don't let the label on a box make that determination for me.

Buy some bullets, do some tests, make your own decisions.

Ok I'm fairly inexperienced with different bullets. Over the years I didn't really shoot targets much. Only to sight my rifle in for deer season. So I shot factory winchester power points and rarely shot over 100 yards. We just didn't have the money to set and shoot.
Anyway things change and recently I have got into the long range shooting and reloading my own bullets. There is sooooooooo much out there. Not that you can find anything anymore. But I put a post up about questionable hunting bullet, and got some folks that sounds like they hunt with MATCH bullets. I was told Match bullets were for the range. But now hearing guys are hunting with them. You guys got any opinions on this?
What cartridge and rifle do you plan on using? What distances and range limitations are you setting for yourself? And what game do you plan on taking?

What cartridge and rifle do you plan on using? What distances and range limitations are you setting for yourself? And what game do you plan on taking?
Christensen Mesa 300 PRC. Wanting to shoot out to 1000 yards on elk.