Brass Prep for long range accuracy

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Steve Sheasly, Sep 11, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Steve Sheasly

Steve Sheasly Well-Known Member

I have been reloading for some time and have been shooting 1000 yard targets on my own ranch range. Not fancy by any means, but very effective. I am tired of seeing big bulls walk away at 900 yards not to be seen again.
    I have been shooting every day for some time and have gotten my 1000 yards groups with my .338 LM to about.5 MOA or 5 inches.
    Some of the things I have learned about brass prep I want to pass on.
    1. Neck size after 5 shots FL size then neck size.
    2. chamfer and flash hole clean all brass
    3. Use Nosler or Norma they are the same brass, or my favorite is Lapua you will not have to trim for several reloads.
    4. soak in acetone or alcohol before going into the tumbler/vibrator/ultrasound wipe off
    5. remove cleaned brass from cleaner and take a brass brush and clean the inside of the necks. Anneal necks after 5 reloads.
    6. Blow each piece of brass out with an air compressor first the inside then primer pocket look inside and make sure primer pocket is clear of obstruction.
    7. I use micrometers for seating bullets use ogive to lands measurements only do not use COAL is it useless especially with plastic-tipped bullets.

Shoot a lot.

Steve

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. Vol1975

Vol1975 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Great information
    I pretty much do the same thing. I have played around here lately with neck sizing only and also just bumping things back on the case to get the brass to load real easy. Usual .002 off the case body and shoulder.
    I’ve only shot up to 700 yards but have not seen enough of a difference to sway me one way or the other.
    I do neck turn all my stuff and anneal. Seems to help a lot for me any way.

Anyway good post. Thanks

Ever try vinegar on soakin brass over night. Comes out pretty clean.

jmfishin, Barrelnut, shakakan and 2 others like this.
  3. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Try annealing too. I found that to tighten groups considerably. I use the Salt Bath method and anneal after every firing...more the better right.

Alibiiv likes this.
  4. WildBillG

WildBillG Well-Known Member

I to usually neck size. So I have a question do any of you use the Forester neck bump die system? I ask because it looks like a good idea.

5. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree with:
    1. I FL size everything, bump.shoulders back .0015 to .002"
    2. A lot of the better brass do not "punch" their flash holes, they machine them, so no need for this.
    3. Many other fantastic brass manufacturers out there depending on your cartridge of choice. ADG, Alpha, Petersons, Lapua, RWS
    5. I would personally not use a brass brush for case necks. Nylon would be my choice.

Not sure why you do #4.

Absolutely agree with #6, 7, and "shoot a lot".

6. muleystalker

muleystalker Well-Known Member

What he said!

7. Steve Sheasly

No acetone or alcohol for 15 min cuts most,if,the junk. Vinegar is acidic 5% and would leave a residue inside the case that would have to burn out ivwould think.

Terry Balding likes this.
  8. Steve Sheasly

Lapua comes annealed. I do anneal Nosler after 3 firings. Forgot to add that. Thanks

Rick Richard likes this.
  9. Steve Sheasly

I have one for 300 win mag. Redding tech support recommends against it. That is why they do not make one. I think I talked to a guy named lou. They did not see any benefit. I have not used mine and probably won't. Fireformed brass works very well fir me.

10. Steve Sheasly

Do what works. My last,group at 1k was 2inside inches. Cleans the carbon ofd,of the neck so tumbling time,is reduced. Also cleans powder,residue. Nylon does not remove the residue from the neck well I have nylon. One time,in and out. Out,of 20 cases I will remove 3 or 4 grains of uncombustable junk. I weiged it once.

Doug Herold and jepp2 like this.
  11. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

I size without an expander. Expand with a sinclair neck expander die. I use redding and forster dies. Skim turn necks. You can get very little runout this way with a standard press, riviling hand dies even.

12. Steve Sheasly

Full length sizing is hard on brass and does not allow for a snug fit in the chamber. With virgin brass I am 2moa or 20 inches off at 1 thousand yards

13. shawnb

shawnb Well-Known Member

Ha im on the complete opposite end of you. I take my brass out of the bag, full length size, and shoot them till they cant hold a primer. I do anneal every other firing. I wipe them with a cloth before lubing and wipe them off after sizing.

Different strokes i guess.

Cinchy, MNbogboy, ENGUNEER and 2 others like this.
  14. Steve Sheasly

Cool.