Long Range Accuracy

Crp63

Recently purchased a rifle for long range hunting. Plan on shooting out to 800 yds or so. Spent alot of time reloading and consistently getting .75" groups at 100 yds. What does everybody consider "GOOD" accuracy for a long range rifle?

Recently purchased a rifle for long range hunting. Plan on shooting out to 800 yds or so. Spent alot of time reloading and consistently getting .75" groups at 100 yds. What does everybody consider "GOOD" accuracy for a long range rifle?

.75" at 800 yds.....:)

1/2 inch MOA is a good place to be with a hunting rifle. Basically you can hit a 4 inch bull at 800 yards which puts you well inside a kill zone on a mule deer or elk and allows for a little wind error. If you hold your shots to 400 yards or so 1 MOA will work. Try to test the accuracy of a load at 200 yards or better. Flat based bullets will probably give you a true reading at 100 yards but boat tails need to be farther out. I test at 335 yards.

I strive for 1/2 MOA at any given range. I grew up reading that 1 MOA was sufficient for big game but most gun/hunting magazine writers didn't promote shooting past 300-400 yds, much less 800.
While 1/2 MOA is not record setting accuracy, or required, it's just a self-imposed standard and gives me the confidence I need to make hits at LR.
I practice on paper and steel at 500yds and start feeling a little cocky when I can consistenly produce 2.0 - 2.5" 3-shot group at this distance. To bring me back down to earth I just remember Matt Kline shot a 2.815" 10-shot group @ 1000yds. That's impressive and keeps me humble. :) JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.