Brass Prep for long range accuracy

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Steve Sheasly, Sep 11, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Steve Sheasly

Steve Sheasly Well-Known Member

Yes. I have turned necks but saw no improvement. I have 3 rifles. 338on 279 wan and a 243 all are sub moa. Like .5 that is as good as,I can shoot. The guns are better than I am.

Bill Cauley Jr likes this.
  2. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

If you know how to FL size it works just fine. As far as "hard on brass", I have brass in various rifles that have 10+ loads on them and still going strong. 6.5SLR, 7RM, .300RUM all have lasted just fine. It is overworking them that leads to premature brass failure.

Correctly FL sized brass is different than virgin brass. But even fire forming loads can be made to shoot very accurately.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  3. Ingwe

Ingwe Well-Known Member

Fellas, in your experiences, does fire-formed brass have a different POI than new brass?

4. lancetkenyon

At 1000 yards? It very well could depending on the virgin brass dimensions. In cases like the 7RM, .300WM, etc., it seems like the headspacing is very short on virgin cases. Like .014"-.020" shorter than fired cases. I have seen 2.007" for new brass in a 7RM, and 2.121" fired using a .420" comp in a digital caliper. Bumping shoulders back .002" to 2.119" will increase case capacity over virgin.

ThrdKllr and MNbogboy like this.
  5. Steve Sheasly

Fire formed brass will reduce a standard deviation or spread Basically you get better accuracy not a significant vertical difference just better groups.

Bill Cauley Jr likes this.
  6. Steve Sheasly

Sorry for two thumb typing. A 338 lapua magnum, 270 WSM and a .243.

Bill Cauley Jr, lancetkenyon and Dosh like this.
  7. Steve Sheasly

Your first sentence is obviously true. Second does not make sense to me. Fire formed brass ---brass fire formed,to a,specific chamber ---- in my experience is always more accurate. A bit stiff to eject sometimes after 7 or so firings but in my experience much more accurate. The projectile is aligned with the center of the bore. Not sitting a few thou low so when it engages the lands it comes out more concentric more stable increasing accuracy. I hope I explained that adequately.

Doug Herold and Bill Cauley Jr like this.
  8. lancetkenyon

I am not saying this is always true. But, it happens often.

6.5SS fire forming loads. Completely changing a case shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for virgin brass loads...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. muleystalker

muleystalker Well-Known Member

All brass comes annealed. Its just that some companies polish after annealing.

10. muleystalker

muleystalker Well-Known Member

c
    Carbon inside the neck is your friend.

lgordee, ShtrRdy, WiscGunner and 2 others like this.
  11. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Steve,
    Pretty much don’t do most of those things either. However would like to see a good picture of that camper in your avatar.:D

12. Vol1975

Vol1975 Well-Known Member

Yes would be the short answer.
    Will most shooters notices the difference especially at shorter ranges. No
    With that being said I only shoot to 700 yards but watch the chronograph and I see the change in pressure and speed. That’s been my experience anyway.

Fire formed brass should be a different pressure and line up in the chamber better than none fire formed. I use to only neck size but after a few firing they would get a little sticky. Now I just bump everything back around .002 th. Or just enough to where the bolt closes easy. For my purpose and hunting I like this better.

Doug Herold and Ingwe like this.
  13. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

While my reloading method is quite different then yours, nothing speaks louder than results. Five inch groups at 1,000 yds speak for themselves.
    Nice work.

14. Csafisher

Csafisher Well-Known Member