Brass Prep for long range accuracy

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Steve Sheasly, Sep 11, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Steve Sheasly

Steve Sheasly Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug! I have been blessed in many ways and thank God for my life, wife, and Country.

lancetkenyon and Ingwe like this.
  2. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I hope one day to make it to 1k, just ain’t got that level of dedication yet.

3. Steve Sheasly

Amen!

4. Steve Sheasly

great! what yardage? Since I live in Oregon I am partial to anything Nosler besides they have great products for shooters.

Ingwe likes this.
  5. Steve Sheasly

This is correct and I confirmed by talking to Nosler. I knew it had to be annealed because of cold working. Unlike steel alloys, brass cannot be hardened by heating. Brass can only be strain or work hardened. This hardening occurs when the material is worked mechanically, e.g. by cold working. ... If cold worked brass is heated to 450 – 600°C, the hardening can be removed again and this is why we have to anneal again. Fire forming is cold working and so is putting brass in a die. This is also why I neck size then full size -- and repeat. I have worked with many foundries in my engineering career. Which now is over and I can shoot all I want --- unless I run out of money!

Bill Cauley Jr likes this.
  6. Steve Sheasly

we would have to ask them, but the articles I have read say they do and If I spent 5 to 10 grand on a rifle like a buddy of mine did -- you can bet a $500.00 die would come with it. And if I was a world-class shooter (which I am not) I would precision FL size too. The reason I neck size and then FL size is that the brass will probably eventually stick in the chamber do to the brass expanding in the die (chamber) so that you have zero clearance and then a bit of dirt creates a negative clearance once the round is chambered. So I keep my gun clean using Npro 7 and full length resize when I need to.

7. Steve Sheasly

Shooting 3-inch groups consistently at 1100 yards? wow that is quite an accomplishment. Here is an article for the world record holder at 1000 yards. https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/benchrest-shooter-1000-yard-group/

8. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I love the internet! Bob Lee Swagger convention going on now join in!

Orange Dust likes this.
  9. MarshMello

MarshMello New Member

I am in the camp of the "least amount of prep to get acceptable, results with reasonable brass life". Notice that is a completely subjective statement. IMO, the most important aspect of whatever you choose to do is repeatable consistency. I personally don't neck size anymore. I like knowing my round will always chamber (competition and hunting). I ultrasonic, anneal, FL size with bushing, .002 shoulder bump, trim/deburr chamfer in one step (thank you Giraud!), prime, load and shoot. I am satisfied with consistent .5 moa for my needs and the effort/time expended. Really my definition of the best way is what meets your needs with results that are acceptable. Where that point of diminishing returns is totally up to you. 5" group at 1000'? Totally acceptable in my book. That .5 MOA and would be a day that met my expectations.

Doug Herold likes this.
  10. beaver hunter

beaver hunter Member

thanks for the help , puts me on the right track !

Remmy700 likes this.
  11. lgordee

lgordee Well-Known Member

Here is your custom die - for a lot less than $500.00. Best money you will ever spend. https://www.whiddengunworks.com/custom-reloading-dies/

Another great option, but not available in some calibers. Give them a call. Great people to work with. http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/categories/reloading-dies

Then get yourself an arbor press and one of these seating dies. https://www.brownells.com/reloading...hamber-type-bullet-seater-dies-prod36168.aspx

L.Sherm likes this.
  12. Steve Sheasly

Thank you!

13. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

5" groups at 1000 is an accomplishment to be proud of. I have a .308 that will shoot in the 0's at 100. If it would hold to 1000 I could win world championships with it. 5" @ 1000 is good enough to hunt deer that far if you can duplicate it from field positions. I have spent a small fortune on rifles, reloading equipment, and components, and am a pretty good shot. I know full well that is very difficult to do with a rifle that retains enough energy that far tohunt big game. 700 is tough enough. AND I am talking about consistant groups, not just one that sometimes happens at any distamce. If you cant back it up on different days it is just bragging.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Remmy700 and Ingwe like this.
  14. Bradu

Bradu Active Member

Everyone claims these groups but how repeatable are they? It's one thing to shoot good groups on calm days when you cherry pick the conditions. This is why all these great shots we always read about are rarely repeated at competitions, especially the elr matches.