Brass Prep for long range accuracy

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Steve Sheasly, Sep 11, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Bill Cauley Jr

Bill Cauley Jr Well-Known Member

Often times not always or every time

2. Bradu

Bradu Active Member

Out to a mile with some calibers. Why is it so hard to believe? 1k is easy with factory ammo especially with 6.5 prc, 300 prc, 300 win mag, 338 lapua...yes, magnums.

As far as reloading, everyone has a different method of reloading. Just because it isn't the same as the op's method doesn't mean you can't achieve the same or even better results. He doesn't want to believe that all brass is annealed, not just lapua. Even cheap 223 brass is annealed, it's done when it's formed.

Bill Cauley Jr likes this.
  3. Bill Cauley Jr

Bill Cauley Jr Well-Known Member

Brass is started from one solid slug and must be annealed several times through the process of forming a cartridge

4. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

This may be true but often time is an anomaly more than a standard. Way more times than not factory ammo of any kind can not compete with the product of a knowledgeable reloader. Again there are exceptions but I personally have never seen factory ammo shoot better than any of the pills I rolled myself.

5. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I've shot factory ammo that had 100 fps spread, and yes it was " Precision " ammo

6. Bradu

Bradu Active Member

If you want a great example of what factory ammo is capable of, look at the 300 norma improved builds that Ryan Pierce does. He shoots the rifles with factory Berger ammo and shoots in the .1"s and .2"s consistently. Berger's extreme spread is impressive as well on their ammo. I'm not disagreeing that reloading to a specific rifle isn't better, just pointing out that virgin brass will shoot just fine even at a distance.

lgordee, muleystalker and Remmy700 like this.
  7. L.Sherm

I know what thread your referring to go back a few pages and you will see how he talks about it being crooked and some of the necks being dented so bad they wont chamber and those are all at 100 yards.

8. Bradu

Bradu Active Member

I was referring to Facebook posts of his. I haven't seen that issue and neither have my friends that shoot it. I'm sure he shoots a lot of it though so he probably has ran into it. It's about like anything made anymore, quality suffers to try and keep up with demand.

9. Steve Sheasly

Steve Sheasly Well-Known Member

This is very true.

10. L.Sherm

Screenshot_20190912-205013_Chrome.jpg

Attached Files:

Bradu likes this.
  11. Steve Sheasly

Nice group.

12. Csafisher

Csafisher Well-Known Member

Well no kidding. The point is, match shooters do not fl size so they don’t jam a bullet......... as I just said that can happen with both...........

lgordee likes this.
  13. Steve Sheasly

Cool camper. My father in law owned the ranch next door 12k acres a cowboys cowboy he woulf stay in that camper,on that old willys all elk season. With his dog Pete. We,lost him a few,years ago and a piece of,our hearts and history.

LRH361 likes this.
  14. Csafisher

Csafisher Well-Known Member

This literally has nothing to do with how the brass is sized

L.Sherm and lgordee like this.