Weight sort Lapua 300 Norma Brass???

Absolutely, blackaj.
And from what I've learned about case weight variation and volume variation, is although some small weight variations may not affect volume, large weight variations do. Chamber is from the bolt face forward to the lands, you can only squeeze so much brass in that space without affecting internal volume of the case. Physics.

And no, I have found no need to sort by volume if cases are in the same lot, and weight variation is small. I do however spot verify volume in my weight groupings. I have found no significant volume variances for those cases.

The OP has reported 3 grain variation in weight in his 200 cases. 167 are less than 1.5 gr. He will not have significant volume variation with such a low case weight variation. (.1 gr powder equivalent volume variation, maximum. (that's about 3 kernels of H1000)
I can just about guarantee there is .2 gr worth of powder equivalent volume variation for the total 200 cases and I maintain that as significant difference that needs to be addressed.

I have a friend who used to shoot NRA long range matches. He had a long stemmed dial indicator set up to measure case head thickness. He told me that was how he sorted brass. And it was more reliable than weight sorting and quicker than filling with water. At times he would out shoot some of the big named guys. He won a state championship, went to Nationals in Lodi, Wi. and out shot a Berger balistician that we've all heard of in one particular round.

Last edited:
I buy 100 cases at a time and split the weights right down the middle and keep them in their own boxes of 50. Works great for me.

I don't weigh cases until I do a full prep on them.size, trim, uniform primer pockets, inside and outside champher. Then ill sort them in lots of 50.

I quick checked 20 pieces out of 100 Lapua 300 Norma cases. My lightest is 317.5 grains & heaviest is 320 grains. I won't be able load & shoot these for a while. What do you guys think? Weight sort them or not?
I certainly wouldn't be concerned at all..but did you caliper the length too if you are! Trim to shortest case!

Since you won't be loading and shooting for a while there is plenty of time to weigh and sort. I weigh sort mine while sitting in the front room with my wife. Save all my data throughout the case prep to firing on spreadsheet. Easy formulas collect and show all variances to mull over.
I collect data and as was said earlier when a shot doesn't go right you don't want to wonder what happened or what you should have done. Tight control over every variable you can control leaves just you as the variable probably at fault.
I also keep GPS data with precise direction I am shooting, including time, temp, date, barometric pressure and anything I can think of.
Shortly after I began programming and machine designing three quarters of a lifetime ago I came up with a saying which I follow. I even had a sign made, "Too much information is almost enough". And in case you were wondering, I am somewhat anal. Sometimes my wife is good with it, and sometimes not, I married the best woman known to man.

Since you won't be loading and shooting for a while there is plenty of time to weigh and sort. I weigh sort mine while sitting in the front room with my wife. Save all my data throughout the case prep to firing on spreadsheet. Easy formulas collect and show all variances to mull over.
I collect data and as was said earlier when a shot doesn't go right you don't want to wonder what happened or what you should have done. Tight control over every variable you can control leaves just you as the variable probably at fault.
I also keep GPS data with precise direction I am shooting, including time, temp, date, barometric pressure and anything I can think of.
Shortly after I began programming and machine designing three quarters of a lifetime ago I came up with a saying which I follow. I even had a sign made, "Too much information is almost enough". And in case you were wondering, I am somewhat anal. Sometimes my wife is good with it, and sometimes not, I married the best woman known to man.
I've found out that a man's got to have a good & patient wife to endure through a man loading cartridges for long range, lol funny but true!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.