Best smith that makes prefits…any cut barrels are fine…just not Proof

Looking for a smith that does prefit barrels for Bighorn Origin actions.

• Total voters

Justice1327

Looking for a smith that makes prefit barrels for Bighorn Origin actions. Almost any cut barrel is fine, except Proof.

I want to buy a prefit and install it myself to avoid sending in my action.

Who am I missing too?

Last edited:
With the Origin, you have many choices of pre-fit barrel's since it uses the Savage small shank threading just like the ARC and Shilen action's if you don't mind using a barrel nut.
I have many different brands of pre-fit barrel's that I use on my custom rifle's-
X-Caliber
Krieger
Bartlien
McGowen
Shilen
Rock Creek

All of them use a barrel nut except for the two shouldered pre-fit's I bought from PVA. Barrel nut's never bother me, plus I can swap out barrel's in a matter of minutes on my bench to something else when I want.

Shouldered PVA -
43xniW2.jpg

Barrel nut X-Caliber-
Y8Xm2v6.jpg

Nice rifles. Agree on the barrels, but looking for a smith that makes the prefit. I will look more into PVA.

Last edited:
Nice rifles. Agree on the barrels, but looking for a smith that does the prefit. I will look more into PVA.
So you're wanting to pay a gunsmith to install a pre-fit barrel on your action? IMO, that's just wasting a lot of money and time for something that you can do in just a few minutes with a couple tools / gauges.
That's the whole thing about pre-fit barrel's, they are a DIY thing that eliminates the need / cost of using a gunsmith to install a barrel on an action.

Looking for a smith that does prefit barrels for Bighorn Origin actions. Almost any cut barrel is fine except Proof.

Who am I missing too?
Shawn at Hawk Hill does mine. Just finished a 7 SAUM for my Origin and is doing a .22 CM for a Defiance. His barrels are hammers, but the wait can be a bit long. Worth it to me, but you might want to email him and see what he says.

Last edited:
PVA does great work. I know you said cut barrel but you might want to look at their Osprey barrels they stock. They are button but shoot great. I have been a cut rifled man for many years and use Bartleins and Kreiger but the 2 Ospreys I have for my TL3 are very accurate and clean up fast. He also has them in stock so can get them spun up and out pretty fast.

Here is the first time out with factory 108 ELD-M ammo getting zeroed. Shot first 3 shots in lower left and then adjusted and shot the three in the center at 100.
IMG_2291(2).jpg

And then later I started to put some loads together and this is in the beginning of load work at 400 yards. There are two shots on top of each other at about 5 o'clock on the red dot(lowest darker spot is a paint chip) and then the other three on top. Not bad for 400 yards in load workups.
IMG_2499.jpg