Tikka T3 Prefit Proof Research Barrels ?

Brianc74

What experiences are people having with the Proof Research Tikka T3 prefit barrels? I'm looking at both the Carbon and standard stainless barrels. Looking at fit and accuracy of these barrels.

Brian

I had John from Mesa Precision put a pre-fit on my 30-06 and it has been shooting phenomenal. Can't speak to the functional "fit", as John did the work for me. But the visible fit and finish is excellent, as-is the accuracy. Definitely a faster and more accurate barrel than my stock Tikka barrel. I primarily made the switch for threading (Thunderbeast) without cutting the factory barrel down too far or using some type of thread pitch adapter. Threading aside, it is like a whole new rifle now,

tikka-07.jpg

Fit is awesome, have had two barrels. Real plus is threaded on both ends, my smith basically pulled the old and installed the new as a favor. He was happy with the machining, one's a creedmoor. .....so you probably already know what the accuracy is like. .......

No Tikka prefits here but have 3 Zermatt prefits from proof and they all shoot very well.

prefits are going to be a game changer

Same here.The prefit for my TL3 shoots .5 routinely with factory ammo. A Tikka prefit is in my future.

I had my smith install a Proof Tikka prefit for me and it's been nothing but outstanding. It's 0.5 moa or less depending upon how I'm shooting that day. My rifle was originally a 243 but it's a 6.5 Creed now. My gunsmith did say he had to make a slight adjustment to it in order to get the bolt to close.

I had my smith install a Proof Tikka prefit for me and it's been nothing but outstanding. It's 0.5 moa or less depending upon how I'm shooting that day. My rifle was originally a 243 but it's a 6.5 Creed now. My gunsmith did say he had to make a slight adjustment to it in order to get the bolt to close.
I wonder what adjustments were needed. Usually if bolt won't close on a gauge, it needs to be chambered deeper. Can't just back it out a lil and tighten a barrel nut like a Savage. If the bolt won't close, that's definitely not a prefit. I've had several rifles built on Tikka actions and from the action face to bolt face, they've all been within 0.003" on 5 actions, that's pretty consistent for mass production. However there are always exceptions.

I wonder what adjustments were needed. Usually if bolt won't close on a gauge, it needs to be chambered deeper. Can't just back it out a lil and tighten a barrel nut like a Savage. If the bolt won't close, that's definitely not a prefit. I've had several rifles built on Tikka actions and from the action face to bolt face, they've all been within 0.003" on 5 actions, that's pretty consistent for mass production. However there are always exceptions.
If I remember correctly he did something with the threads.

Bookmark. I have this crazy idea to change a Tikka 22-250 I own to a 250 AI. Super light deer and antelope rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.