Proof Research Barrels

Two of my friends have three rifles with Proof Research barrels. Two are on Proof Research customs, one in 300 RUM the other in 6.5 Creedmoor and one is an accurized Remington 700 with a Proof barrel also in 300 RUM.

I helped put together loads for each rifle. We had no problems making handloads for any of these rifles. In fact the two 300 RUMs using 230 Bergers showed they liked a load within a dozen shots! Repeat tests confirmed. The Creedmoor liked the 140 A-max.

My bore scope shows the interior of Proof's barrels to be hand lapped. They clean up easily. I will caution that the these barrels will require a large barrel channel.

I like to shoot barrels that are at ambient to simulate hunting conditions. I did notice that it takes a while for the heat to radiate to outer surface of the barrel. I also noticed when I used my CO2 to cool back to ambient, it took a while to get to the outside. I had to time the CO2 cooling to ensure consistent results.

I think you will like Proof's barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.