proof research barrels

Just got income tax refund back, so thinking about ordering one this week... Will probably be driving up to the store to getting the donor rifle next Friday, if they still have it by then. If I do make it happen, this build will 100% become my .280 AI build. No more procrastination. :cool:

I'm at a tough call between a 26" Proof Sendero barrel, and a 26" Bartlein Sendero... Other than the obvious weight differences, you can buy 2 Bartlein blanks for less than the cost of 1 PR blank... Decisions decisions...

So will this be your first .280AI? interested to hear about this project and what is going to go into the total package.

So will this be your first .280AI? interested to hear about this project and what is going to go into the total package.

That it will be... I have been studying this cartridge for many years, and was going to build one for the last 3 years, but have gotten side-tracked every time. But my next build will be. My next 2 will be, a .280 AI, and then a .260 AI. If my local store still has the donor sitting on the shelf, I might head up there tomorrow. We'll see how things go, to see if I can make the trip...It's about an hour & half away, but I've been doing business with them for over 10 years, and they've always treated me right. I used to always deal with the owner, but a few years back, he had a relapse of cancer, and God rest him, he passed. He was a great guy, and has cut me some absolutely insane deals over the years. Like, I was on the fence, but I couldn't walk away from them type of deals. :D But another guy that I know that works there, was there back when, and knows I always used to deal with the owner, so he cuts some pretty good deals (not quite as good, but as best as he can without getting fired). And he knows I buy the cheap used 700's for donor rifles, so that also helps with the price, since he knows that I'm buying them, bringing them home, and immediately taking them to the gunsmith.

It will definitely be a .280 AI, built on a blueprinted 700 action. The donor I found is (unfortunately) an ADL, so bottom metal and a trigger swap will be in order. Stock will most likely be a HS Precision Sendero stock or new Stocky's Long Range stock, if they are no longer on back-order. Barrel, since I love bull barrels, and want this to be a fairly lightweight whitetail rifle, might be a 26" 1:9 Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. But those are not set in stone... If I find a good cheap HS original Sendero stock, and Bartlein 5R Sendero contour in stock, might save some coin and go that route. I'm all about the budget builds. This will be my 6th or 7th custom in the last 2 years, so I'm definitely no stranger to the gunsmith. :D

As we are on the topic of proof. What would you guys think of one for my super light weight 6.5 creed. Would this be my best option or a light contour. I want the lightest barrel possible that will still make great cold bore shots. Thanks

As we are on the topic of proof. What would you guys think of one for my super light weight 6.5 creed. Would this be my best option or a light contour. I want the lightest barrel possible that will still make great cold bore shots. Thanks

Spiral fluted Brux #3 in .264 and 26" long weighs 2lb 12ounce chambered in 6.5 saum.
24" proof sendero light 24" weighs 2lb 12 ounce chambered in 6.5 saum.

Another one is a #4 interrupted fluted Brux chambered in 6.5x47 lapua is 3lb 10 ounce on a 27" tube
Proof sendero .264 26" blank is 3lb 2 ounce unchambered

Couple comparisons for what it's worth

That it will be... I have been studying this cartridge for many years, and was going to build one for the last 3 years, but have gotten side-tracked every time. But my next build will be. My next 2 will be, a .280 AI, and then a .260 AI. If my local store still has the donor sitting on the shelf, I might head up there tomorrow. We'll see how things go, to see if I can make the trip...It's about an hour & half away, but I've been doing business with them for over 10 years, and they've always treated me right. I used to always deal with the owner, but a few years back, he had a relapse of cancer, and God rest him, he passed. He was a great guy, and has cut me some absolutely insane deals over the years. Like, I was on the fence, but I couldn't walk away from them type of deals. :D But another guy that I know that works there, was there back when, and knows I always used to deal with the owner, so he cuts some pretty good deals (not quite as good, but as best as he can without getting fired). And he knows I buy the cheap used 700's for donor rifles, so that also helps with the price, since he knows that I'm buying them, bringing them home, and immediately taking them to the gunsmith.

It will definitely be a .280 AI, built on a blueprinted 700 action. The donor I found is (unfortunately) an ADL, so bottom metal and a trigger swap will be in order. Stock will most likely be a HS Precision Sendero stock or new Stocky's Long Range stock, if they are no longer on back-order. Barrel, since I love bull barrels, and want this to be a fairly lightweight whitetail rifle, might be a 26" 1:9 Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. But those are not set in stone... If I find a good cheap HS original Sendero stock, and Bartlein 5R Sendero contour in stock, might save some coin and go that route. I'm all about the budget builds. This will be my 6th or 7th custom in the last 2 years, so I'm definitely no stranger to the gunsmith. :D

The 280 AI makes sense I was just wondering about the 260AI are you building that just to have one? Reason I am asking is I have owned a 260 Rem in one form or another since the cartridge came out and with todays powders especially Superformance the standard 260 shines. I am guessing you are going on a short action for the 260AI? I have seen a bit of writing about them in the past but nothing much as of late and I think that for the most part they are being pushed really hard to get the speeds I have seen. It might just be personal preference for you but if it was me and 140 bergers and the like were the bullets of choice I would go 6.5-06 or the improved version you will be another step up in horsepower.

Spiral fluted Brux #3 in .264 and 26" long weighs 2lb 12ounce chambered in 6.5 saum.

Another one is a #4 interrupted fluted Brux chambered in 6.5x47 lapua is 3lb 10 ounce on a 27" tube

Exactly what I was looking for thanks. Looks like just a sampler contour is the way to go. Thanks you

If you don't mind I'm wanting to have 6.5x284 built by someone
And want a light weight bull barrel gun close to sendero barrel
U say #4 Brux is close to proof weight. How big is the 4 contore compared to my sendero barrel I was looking at proof barrels but spiral flut my save some cash
Any advice accepted it's my first time getting a gun built
Want about 8.5 lbs with a night force and a pistol grip a2 style stock Or close
Thanks

Brux number 4 will be .660" at the muzzle. A sendero will be .830". A proof sendero light is .820" and a proof sendero is .920" you won't have light unless you go w a proof if you want a sendero contour.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.