Best smith that makes prefits…any cut barrels are fine…just not Proof

Looking for a smith that does prefit barrels for Bighorn Origin actions.

• Total voters
Not a fan of barrel nuts myself. If I have an action I can get shouldered prefits for then I am going to get them. Screw it in and done. No setting headspace etc. For a Remage or Savage then the nut makes it work but I wouldn't use it in a custom action. Just my opinion.

Boy this thread has it all.... highlights the worst internet communication has to offer.

Most competent smith's should have the capacity to make a shouldered prefit from a tennon print, that's kinda the whole point of these kind of actions.

In theory a prefit was to speed the process of building a custom eliminating the need to ship the rifle. In theory it will work that way, except for the supply issues we're all dealing with. It's been stated earlier in the thread, the issue is solid supply of barrels. My shaft supplier sells big volume stainless barrel steel and said last week it's getting better but it's still horrid compared to 3 years ago.

Right now the fastest will be whomever has the closest access to a barrel blank that you want. If that's a prefit company, then great but lri or any traditional smith will win if they have the barrel in hand. It's probably worth looking for a blank from the myriad of suppliers and barrel companies to see what is close to what you want in stock, then start shopping prefit and traditional smiths.

The idea of using a tennon print only works with actions that are made to really tight tolerances. Remingtons and Savages vary too much from one action to another, so a fixed shoulder prefit is out of the question. A barrel nut is the only way to go with them. Tikka actions are one of the few off-the-shelf actions that are consistent enough in term of tolerance that manufacturers are willing to offer a fixed shoulder prefit as an option. All custom actions have the tight tolerances necessary for a shoulder prefit.

The idea behind the prefit barrel was to save on both time and money. Proof used to have a sale every so often on their cabon prefits for about $675. That's about as cheap as buying a carbon barrel blank. Now add another $350 to $400 for the smith work plus a 6 month wait and you begin to see why the prefit barrel is gaining in popularity.

I asked the below gunsmiths/rifle builders that I have used in the past if the make prefits.
GAP…Yes, Bartlein barrels…pricey service
LRI… depends, not many barrel choices or profiles
MCR…No
SAC …No
DST…No
APR…No