Best smith that makes prefits…any cut barrels are fine…just not Proof

Looking for a smith that does prefit barrels for Bighorn Origin actions.

• Total voters
So Carbon six does makes prefits for Origin actions?
CarbonSix does not show Origin action on their drop-down menu, but they do Savage actions. It is best to call them and talk to Gene; he's a lovely guy to deal with and has been very helpful. Anti-X was not on their choices either, but they offered to chamber it because I have the reamer.

CarbonSix does not show Origin action on their drop-down menu, but they do Savage actions. It is best to call them and talk to Gene; he's a lovely guy to deal with and has been very helpful. Anti-X was not on their choices either, but they offered to chamber it because I have the reamer.
They list Zermatt/Bighorn

Looks like they do. Thank you

Attachments

• 36059154-7BE0-406F-830C-41D21D1845F4.png
    36059154-7BE0-406F-830C-41D21D1845F4.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 48
They list Zermatt/Bighorn
Correct, but I am not sure if Origin is one of the sub choices, I.e., I have SR2 by BHA. In any case, it is best to contact them. I mentioned the Savage action because BHA barrels work off of the same concept as the Savage pre-fits by having a barrel nut to set the headspace of your barrel to the action of your rifle. If end-user are gun-savvy and have a barrel vise, a Savage barrel nut, and the wrench and the corresponding chambers' Go gauge, OP has everything he needs to install a barrel for his BHA correctly.

Last edited:
You can do this though and send a blank to a smith to have him make a prefit with it. I have done it in the past. If the smith doesn't have the blank you need and you can find one then you just ship it over to him. Not the action. Just the blank.

What barrel are you looking for as in steel or carbon fiber? Caliber, contour and twist?
That is why I am looking for a reputable smith that does prefits…I have several barrels but those are planned for other rifles/cartridges. Steel barrel, 6.5 PRC, 1:7.5

Last edited:
That is why I am looking for a reputable smith that does prefits…I have several barr but those are planned for other rifles/cartridges. Steel barrel, 6.5 PRC, 1:7.5

That should be a pretty easy set up for most smiths. The hardest part is usually the blank. A lot of companies are 6-10 months out if you ordered today. Finding in stock is a good idea. Take a look at the PVA link I posted. In stock and usually done pretty quickly. Definitely worth a look.

Correct, but I am not sure if Origin is one of the sub choices, I.e., I have SR2 by BHA. In any case, it is best to contact them. I mentioned the Savage action because BHA barrels work off of the same concept as the Savage pre-fits by having a barrel nut to set the headspace of your barrel to the action of your rifle. If end-user are gun-savvy and have a barrel vise, a Savage barrel nut, and the wrench and the corresponding chambers' Go gauge, OP has everything he needs to install a barrel for his BHA correctly.
They have a Savage small shank thread and can use the Savage barrel nut system, but maintain +- .0007" tolerance due to a pinned recoil lug instead of integral recoil lug. TLs and SRs hold +- .0005" with an integral lug. As far as I know (My gunsmith said and I have stayed at a couple Holiday Inn Express) any action that can hold +- .0010" tolerance can use shouldered prefit barrels. Savage barrel nuts as well as RemAge barrels are fast, convenient and pretty affordable, but I can't get past the looks.

They have a Savage small shank thread and can use the Savage barrel nut system, but maintain +- .0007" tolerance due to a pinned recoil lug instead of integral recoil lug. TLs and SRs hold +- .0005" with an integral lug. As far as I know (My gunsmith said and I have stayed at a couple Holiday Inn Express) any action that can hold +- .0010" tolerance can use shouldered prefit barrels. Savage barrel nuts as well as RemAge barrels are fast, convenient and pretty affordable, but I can't get past the looks.
My .270 AI has no barrel nut.

1659901513797.png

1659900570535.png

That is your personal preference. I personally do not have any problem with barrel nuts. Both my .264 WM and .257 WBY uses PVAs barrel nut.

1659900713597.png

1659900803080.png

BHA also makes their own barrel nut.

1659900908987.png

Last edited:
My long action Origin has no barrel nut, but it is not a prefit. I will have to be sure to ask the smiths if it is an option. Thank you