BERTRAM BRASS FOR 6.5 SHERMAN SHORTMAG??

3100' is doable with the 160 with the 160 and RL33 or N570 but 3000+ is where they like to run. I run the 147's at 3107' with RL26. with good accuracy......Rich

Rich, can you get any of the flavors of Bertram that you want? Very few vendors can get his brass & all the desired flavors(300 wsm & ultra) aren't available stateside or are sold out. I spoke about using your 7SS reamer, but have since decided to go 30 cal. In my persuit to use Bertram cases I've decided on 300 wsm or 30 nosler(shortening 300 ultra Bertram) but if you'd be able to get 300 SS brass from Bertram I'd definitely go that route!

I will be gone hunting from the 8th to about the 15th so thought i would do a quick torture test on the Bertram brass in my 6.5 SST. My normal load is 56.7 grains of RL26 behind a 147 ELDM with Norma brass @ 3100' and is close to max. The Bertram holds about 1.6 grains more H20 than the Norma case. I started at 59 grains in the Bertram knowing it would be a stiff load. (58 is absolute max in the Norma) I also loaded 59.5 and 60 grains. The following pic is of the chrono'd speeds and the case heads with extractor marks. The 60 grain load had heavy bolt lift and was the only case that the primer pocket felt looser in when they were re primed; although it was still plenty tight enough to continue using. It also had .0005" more case head expansion than the 2 other loads. Having said that, we are talking 3220+ FPS with a 147 in this puny little case!! I think the Bertram brass will be tough enough for most of us:D

Attachments

• Bertran 6.5 ss torture test!.pdf
    743.4 KB · Views: 149
Yes. You know maybe ask about a rep for the site for their brass. Honestly I have seen many that think it even beats Lapua in a few different calibers. Its just not widely know or available in the states certainly not at B&M stores. I would be very surprised if some group buys were not quite popular for some of there case offerings.

Might also have them seeing this as it having more financial value to them vs just a single wildcat run.

Yes. You know maybe ask about a rep for the site for their brass. Honestly I have seen many that think it even beats Lapua in a few different calibers. Its just not widely know or available in the states certainly not at B&M stores. I would be very surprised if some group buys were not quite popular for some of there case offerings.

Might also have them seeing this as it having more financial value to them vs just a single wildcat run.
I'd love to get some their 300 rum to form into 30 nosler. Tough as nails brass should run with 300 norma in a 26" tube.

Rich,

I was just looking in the classifieds and Bertram it seems just finished up some 338snipertac and the price being asked $2.25 per.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/338-snipetac-brass.191994/

I would think it should be no issue them coming in under $3 as that sure is a lot less material than a snipertac case. This makes me tentatively quite excited as this should mean very reasonably prices brass.

I am hopeful! I am delayed a bit on follow up with Bertram. My father-in-law passed away in Ut. and I am supposed to be down there but had a flood in the basement last night. Geez! Will get on it when I get back though......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.