6.5 sherman shortmag field test

I thought I would update a little on the SS. We have been testing RL 33 with some pretty impressive results. I have been shooting 65 grains behind a 150 Matrix for 3160' accurately. I bumped the load up to 67 today just to see what was possible. The load is pretty compressed, but doesn't push the bullet out. It left a little extractor mark on one of the two rounds I fired with an avg. velocity of 3238'. .........Rich

It's been some time since it's initial field testing. Any new data? It's such a nice cartridge I'm anxious for any news on its developements.

It's been some time since it's initial field testing. Any new data? It's such a nice cartridge I'm anxious for any news on its developements.

I haven't had time to do too much lately, but stay tuned. There is a gun review video coming soon on the 6.5 SS. Also, I am considering adding a 7mm SS soon which should push the 180's at around 2900'. I also have a 300 SS proto that that should shoot the 215 Bergers close to 2850' with a coal of well under 3". The 7 SS also will be under 3" with the 180 Bergers......Rich

You know Rich, Marshall has a 190 VLD that begs to be shot out of a 7mm short action! I played with it a bit in my 284 but was having barrel issues, now that is worked out I will be getting back to load testing soon.

You know Rich, Marshall has a 190 VLD that begs to be shot out of a 7mm short action! I played with it a bit in my 284 but was having barrel issues, now that is worked out I will be getting back to load testing soon.

Yes, I knew he did. Be sure to post some results when you get a chance.........thanks/Rich

Chiming in. Hey Rich thanks for the pm glad that the dies are in. I like you am in my busy season of work. Contacting. Sound familiar. I, or should I say my smith, is still making progress on the new SS build. All my pieces parts are here. What is the status on the reamer & guage rental? I'd like to get them headed this a way along with the set of dies that you set aside for me. Can you pm me your address & I'll "show you the money". Thx, Kevin

The 190 matrix shot very well for me in a 7 mag but I was told that the jacket has been made thicker on these so that target shooters wouldn't have them come apart and hence probably not that great for hunting

The 190 matrix shot very well for me in a 7 mag but I was told that the jacket has been made thicker on these so that target shooters wouldn't have them come apart and hence probably not that great for hunting

So far, I am finding the 150 Matrix to perfrom well, but still need some more hits:D.......Rich

I will likely be running the new Lapua 180 7mm once my new 284 is built. Better availability and I Think for the 284 the 180 is about max for decent ballistics.

So far, I am finding the 150 Matrix to perfrom well, but still need some more hits:D.......Rich

Apparently the 6.5 150's should be very similar to Berger hunting vld's in performance. That's what I'll be using this season for everything and will share my results.

If anyone ends ups using the 160's for hunting I'd like to know the results.

Apparently the 6.5 150's should be very similar to Berger hunting vld's in performance. That's what I'll be using this season for everything and will share my results.

Both myself and a friend will be using the 160 Matrix. That is if my Sherman ships out of the U.S. and gets to me on time for hunting season. And if he gets his barrel. Then we should hopefully get some results. Going to Alberta for Elk and Whitetail.

I will be using the 160 in my 6.5WSM. I will be looking for a 700+ yard speed goat just to test the expansion at extended range.

If I recall correctly, at 1000 yds it's still trucking 2000fps & over 1400lb/ft of energy... it should get'er done.

t

Well, I was able to pop a large muley on opening day. As soon as I get the pictures (one of my buddies took them for me) I will open a new thread to track Matrix terminal performance.

Stay tuned,

t

Glad to hear you were successful. Look forward to seeing the results. How far was the shot?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.