6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

I've got a Bartlein cf blank 1:8 finish at 22inches. Originally was for a 6.5 prc but I really want to do a 6.5 ss now. Is this barrel gonna be too short with this twist for the ss? I've tried to search for info on a shorter barrel for this cartridge and haven't found anything
Youre good! it will run a 156 North of 3000'

Getting ready to do the same more or less. But wanting to run hammer copper bullets. Steve is telling me 1:7.5. Any issues you can see with this?

So I'm saving my money to rebarrel my 22-250 remmy VSF. I'll be ordering a tube next month!

I'm thinking 6.5 SS

This will be my first plunge into long range shooting. I am pretty experienced with reloading.

This gun will be for prairie hunting here in Montana. So deer out to five is my goal this next fall and learning how to master how 25-35 mph winds.

But I also want to take it to a prairie dog town and or two during the summer and burn through a lot of ammo.

Is this a good direction to go for a newb? I'd go to a plain Jane round but I'm fascinated by wildcats and I do a lot of loading.

Then I've read most of all these pages. But can't see where anyone has mentioned burning a barrel out yet? Has that happened yet? What's the life expectancy? I understand hot rods needs tires though.

Then what twist should I get? 1—8 or something more like a 1-7.5?

Will the 156 gr Berger fit the Remmy short action? Not sure what bullets I want to try as I'm green. But I really want to try Bergers for deer.

How's recoil as far as seeing hits?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered in the last 15 pages.

You do know you have a fair amount of work to be done to your action to work? It's going to either need a new bolt or have the current one opened up. You might almost be better off just using a custom action like a Bighorn origin or one of the other custom budget actions. I think buy the time you would get the mag bolt face, trued action, lapped lugs, squared up recoil lug you won't be far off money wise from like a bighorn origin action. Plus you would have twice the action then. But yea the 6.5ss would be a good round I believe for you, maybe consider the 7mm if you live in mt and want to target elk.

You do know you have a fair amount of work to be done to your action to work? It's going to either need a new bolt or have the current one opened up. You might almost be better off just using a custom action like a Bighorn origin or one of the other custom budget actions. I think buy the time you would get the mag bolt face, trued action, lapped lugs, squared up recoil lug you won't be far off money wise from like a bighorn origin action. Plus you would have twice the action then. But yea the 6.5ss would be a good round I believe for you, maybe consider the 7mm if you live in mt and want to target elk.
So probably I'd be better off just going to a 260 Terminator with that action? Either way that rifle needs a new barrel.
Nah, elk are for September and trad bows.

Does anyone know if a Wilson 6.5 PRC inline seater will work with a 6.5 SS? Trying to figure out if I can use the 6.5 PRC seater or if I need to buy a blank seater and rent/buy a reamer.

I currently have a pretty good supply of H1000, gm210m's, berger 140 hybrid targets and elite hunters, access to a 6.5 barrel, and probably enough dollars to build one of these. Is there any brass available at this time? I really want to start building a mid-long range hunting rifle soon, but brass and die availability are my only concerns. Anybody know if this stuff is available at all?

I currently have a pretty good supply of H1000, gm210m's, berger 140 hybrid targets and elite hunters, access to a 6.5 barrel, and probably enough dollars to build one of these. Is there any brass available at this time? I really want to start building a mid-long range hunting rifle soon, but brass and die availability are my only concerns. Anybody know if this stuff is available at all?

I would also reach out to @elkaholic for questions on your build and components. He's the man!

I was looking at that, but couldn't find anywhere that said if they were available or not. Just figured I'd ask here first to see if anyone knew before I contacted Rich. I just sent him a PM.

Thank you

That link is literally to his SS brass. You can order it there if it is available same as any other website.

$295 for 50 Pieces of brass and the die set.

What are you wanting to know?

Attachments

• D2BD7E10-FC37-497F-B649-02317D694034.png
    D2BD7E10-FC37-497F-B649-02317D694034.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 103
I know that is his brass, I was just wondering if there's any in stock. It doesn't say available, sold out, backordered, etc, so even though it's listed there I still don't know if there's any available..

Gotcha, Wasn't being a smarta** at all. I know he removed alot of brass from the site that wasnt in stock. He limited some brass to 50 pieces with the purchase of dies only because he was running low on stock and didn't want people to hoard and buy it out which would not allow new customers.

As soon as 30 SM is back in stock I will order dies and brass.