6.5 sherman shortmag field test

Glad to hear you were successful. Look forward to seeing the results. How far was the shot?

Hold on to your hat.......

gun)---- A whopping 155yds lol Probably could have run him over :cool: but I wasn't about to ask him to hold still while I backed up a few hundred....

t

I will try to be patient. Was hoping for someone to shoot something over 700 yds. Not sure if I should anneal a bunch of bullets or not. I guess it can't hurt.

I will try to be patient. Was hoping for someone to shoot something over 700 yds. Not sure if I should anneal a bunch of bullets or not. I guess it can't hurt.

No, it sure won't. I'll give you a little teaser.... two 160's @ 155yds.... neither exited & only 1 made it to the far side of the animal....

t

Ive hit deer with the 7mm 190gr heavy jacket at 111yds no exit, laying broadside, one mulley at 306 broad side up hill, aimed low, hit low and exited high through the shoulder. Then had a mulley at 501 yds, quartering towards me, aimed front edge of the shoulder blade, hit alittle high and broke the back at the neck junction with secondary/hydrostatic damage up the neck and down to the loins, that one exited as well. All these deer fell to the 190 matrix at 3066fps, I couldn't be happier with the results.
The 6.5x280 ack this year whacked my biggest deer ever at 444yds and the matrix 142 running at 3084fps, bullet performance was great the round entered his neck with him quartering towards me, down hill then he looked up the canyon moving his head over his left shoulder blade and I shot, striking halfway up his neck about 8" from his chest cavity traveling into his left lung finally breaking up and leaving a softball sized ball of hamberger and blood shot meat under the left shoulder blade.
I've shot alot of Matrix's or the last 4 years and have had nothing but great luck with them.
Chris
Benchmark

The 6.5 SS just got a facelift and a new barrel by bigngreen. I replaced the old barrel with a 5r Bartlein 3b, and Rhian did a great job of cerakoting as well as chambering, etc. Here is a typical group with 59 grains of RL 26 behind a 150 Matrix at 3100'. DSCF1240.jpg

The 6.5 SS just got a facelift and a new barrel by bigngreen. I replaced the old barrel with a 5r Bartlein 3b, and Rhian did a great job of cerakoting as well as chambering, etc. Here is a typical group with 59 grains of RL 26 behind a 150 Matrix at 3100'. View attachment 52037

What bottom metal and magazine are you running and did you have to modify the mag? It looks looks a PTG.Ive got the same barrel sitting on the bench, Im getting real close, just been contemplating going a 6.5 SS or the 6.5 Sherman. Ive got a 700 LA ready to go and have 2 700 SA but they would need the bolt opened up and possibly some feed rail work because they are .308. thats why I was inquiring about the mags. Now right as I'm ready you throw the 7SS into the mix, you really know how to screw a guy up. LOL

What bottom metal and magazine are you running and did you have to modify the mag? It looks looks a PTG.Ive got the same barrel sitting on the bench, Im getting real close, just been contemplating going a 6.5 SS or the 6.5 Sherman. Ive got a 700 LA ready to go and have 2 700 SA but they would need the bolt opened up and possibly some feed rail work because they are .308. thats why I was inquiring about the mags. Now right as I'm ready you throw the 7SS into the mix, you really know how to screw a guy up. LOL

It is a PTG with an AICS mag box. It just takes a little dremel work to install the AI box and then you spread the feed lips .080" to accomodate the .550" case body. (only takes a minute to do). Everything was originally 308 so had to open the bolt face as well.......Rich

Hey Rich

I shot my 6.5 today. I was playing with RL-26 and 150 Matrix for the first time.

This was 59 grains for me as well. This was at 500 yards.

Jay

Attachments

• 6.5 150 Matrix.jpg
    6.5 150 Matrix.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 139
Why did you replace the old barrel Rich? Was it burned up and if so how many rounds through it?

The old barrel had plenty of life left with 800 rounds but it never shot the way I wanted consistently. I replaced it with a 3b, 8 twist, 5r Bartlein and now it shoots great!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.