6.5 sherman shortmag field test

Glad to hear it, thanks for taking the time to fiddle with the CEB's I appreciate it. The annealed Hybrids also intrigue me, I hadn't thought about doing that until now.

t

I am going to anneal some 160 Matrix today. In the small test I ran, they definitely lowered expansion velocities. this would be my advice on using the Matrix since annealing won't change anything except expansion characteristics. I will carry both annealed, and regular and shoot the annealed at targets roughly beyond 500 yards. Up close, it appears the std's should function well on heavier animals........Rich

I am going to anneal some 160 Matrix today. In the small test I ran, they definitely lowered expansion velocities. this would be my advice on using the Matrix since annealing won't change anything except expansion characteristics. I will carry both annealed, and regular and shoot the annealed at targets roughly beyond 500 yards. Up close, it appears the std's should function well on heavier animals........Rich

How long is it taking you to anneal them? I'm not super worried about the time as a guy should be able to use the non-annealed for practice etc & the annealed for LRH right?

I believe I read somewhere that the 160 were on backorder; is that correct?

t

How long is it taking you to anneal them? I'm not super worried about the time as a guy should be able to use the non-annealed for practice etc & the annealed for LRH right?

I believe I read somewhere that the 160 were on backorder; is that correct?

t

It only takes 8-10 seconds if the torch is hot, but just heat them until they change color. I think Marshal may be back to making bullets, but not sure? He was in the process of moving......Rich

It only takes 8-10 seconds if the torch is hot, but just heat them until they change color. I think Marshal may be back to making bullets, but not sure? He was in the process of moving......Rich

Ah, I did not know he was moving, hopefully to a bigger facility where he can make more bullets!! :D

8-10 seconds is very doable, thanks Rich.

t

I called him yesterday and he had moved to Mission BC which is about 15 minutes from where my wife is from and where her sisters live. It's too bad he didn't move a couple months ago because I was just there. Anyway he said he would be making 160's next week.

I called him yesterday and he had moved to Mission BC which is about 15 minutes from where my wife is from and where her sisters live. It's too bad he didn't move a couple months ago because I was just there. Anyway he said he would be making 160's next week.

That is good news, thank your for the update.

t

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you anneal a bullet w/o melting the lead inside????

So I have to know. Which one do you like best? The Sherman or the SS?

I like the Sherman in a long action and the Sherman short in a short action:D Seriously, I think it is a toss up as the ballistics are near identical. Just depends on what you like to do. The potential for a little bit shorter, lighter carry rifle is there with the Short and the long has a greater variety of brass available. Take your pic......Rich

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you anneal a bullet w/o melting the lead inside????

Keep the tip pointed up in case it does melt, but use a barrier of some kind. I use a ceramic block with holes drilled (see 160 Matrix thread). I only heat for 8-10 seconds (or until color changes)........Rich

I like the Sherman in a long action and the Sherman short in a short action:D Seriously, I think it is a toss up as the ballistics are near identical. Just depends on what you like to do. The potential for a little bit shorter, lighter carry rifle is there with the Short and the long has a greater variety of brass available. Take your pic......Rich

I've been itching hard to do a savage/stevens build in 6.5 x 55 but reading about the Shermans might have me convinced to twist your arm about renting your reamer. . .
Pretty amazing cartridges. Thanks for your hard work and detailed posts on this forum

I've been itching hard to do a savage/stevens build in 6.5 x 55 but reading about the Shermans might have me convinced to twist your arm about renting your reamer. . .
Pretty amazing cartridges. Thanks for your hard work and detailed posts on this forum

P M me if you want to discuss and I will give you my phone #.....Rich

What are BC are you using for the 160 Mr. Sherman? Thats a helluva load at 3000+ fps. **** near a .300 RUM with 215s. Also, how do they hold up on game? Being such a long, heavy bullet, Id imagine they penetrate like nothing else if they stay together.

What are BC are you using for the 160 Mr. Sherman? Thats a helluva load at 3000+ fps. **** near a .300 RUM with 215s. Also, how do they hold up on game? Being such a long, heavy bullet, Id imagine they penetrate like nothing else if they stay together.

680 b.c. seems to be working very well. It is indeed pretty hard to beat the ballistics, and yes, they do penetrate with that kind of SD!
My partner has used my 6.5 Sherman to kill a bear and my SS to kill an elk this year, both with the Matrix. The bear went 20 yards punched through the lungs and the elk went two steps with the same hit. Neither were hit in any large bones to break them down. "Bigngreen" (this forum) used his SS to bag an elk at 820, but wasn't using a Matrix. We are annealing the tips for long range and I'm quite sure, based on testing, they will work well......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.