BERTRAM BRASS FOR 6.5 SHERMAN SHORTMAG??

This is great. I kind of felt Bertram was taking too long to get this sorted out. Definitely sounds likd ADG is putting out a quality product and comms seem to be much quicker.

I just got off the phone with the guys at ADG. Let me first say that they are very professional and helpful!
Through the conversations that we have had, it sounds like the most logical path, which would be feasible at this time, would be to receive the brass from ADG basically as a shortened 7 SAUM. In other words, it would come SS length and head stamped, but would require fire forming. It would not require trimming, turning, etc. The SST would require only slight forming to get rid of some body taper and the SS would form the 40 degree shoulder as well.
The reason for doing this, at this time, is pure economics! ADG will have the basic tooling for the saum, which saves a TON of money, and makes the SS and SST brass possible. Many of the pluses of the SS design are a minus for ease and cost of production. Separate tooling would be required and waste would be higher with the low body taper, and especially the 40 degree shoulder. In my mind, having to fire form once with a moderate load is well worth the gains to be had in performance, and the multiple firings this brass is capable of. In the case of the SST, full power loads could be used the FIRST firing! The 6.5 chamberings would require necking down from 7mm, but that is a simple stroke through your die. (it would have the appropriate head stamp).
So here is the deal: If enough of you buy into this, it will happen! They are planning on being in production by the 3rd 1/4 (next July). If we are to get early runs, I will need to have them order the head stamp bunters before hand and have enough commitment on brass orders to justify giving them the go ahead. I am really excited about this, but it will take some excitement, and more importantly, commitment, on your part, to move this beyond fantasy!
I see this as a step up in performance of an already great performing cartridge line. What do you guys think?.........Rich

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with the guys at ADG. Let me first say that they are very professional and helpful!
Through the conversations that we have had, it sounds like the most logical path, which would be feasible at this time, would be to receive the brass from ADG basically as a shortened 7 SAUM. In other words, it would come SS length and head stamped, but would require fire forming. It would not require trimming, turning, etc. The SST would require only slight forming to get rid of some body taper and the SS would form the 40 degree shoulder as well.
The reason for doing this, at this time, is pure economics! ADG will have the basic tooling for the saum, which saves a TON of money, and makes the SS and SST brass possible. Many of the pluses of the SS design are a minus for ease and cost of production. Separate tooling would be required and waste would be higher with the low body taper, and especially the 40 degree shoulder. In my mind, having to fire form once with a moderate load is well worth the gains to be had in performance, and the multiple firings this brass is capable of. In the case of the SST, full power loads could be used the FIRST firing! The 6.5 chamberings would require necking down from 7mm, but that is a simple stroke through your die. (it would have the appropriate head stamp).
So here is the deal: If enough of you buy into this, it will happen! They are planning on being in production by the 3rd 1/4 (next July). If we are to get early runs, I will need to have them order the head stamp bunters before hand and have enough commitment on brass orders to justify giving them the go ahead. I am really excited about this, but it will take some excitement, and more importantly, commitment, on your part, to move this beyond fantasy!
I see this as a step up in performance of an already great performing cartridge line. What do you guys think?.........Rich
Rich, I'm in for 200 right now, but if the price drops compared to the Bertram brass such it sho uld based on what they are selling now I'll be in for more. Just let me know when and where to send the funds. I know this thread is about new brass, but can I use my 6.5ss dies for 7ss with just a bushing change? Gathering parts right now for a 7..

Count me in for 100 6.5SS to start and possibly more depending on cost and more down the road of course.

Last edited:
I think the best approach, and it would be a pain in the butt for Rich or his designee, is to set a price, and have folks order and pay for the orders in advance. That way there is a firm commitment and and no guesswork on numbers, nor is someone left holding the bag for cases that were ordered and not paid for. Just a thought, but I've seen it done this way on other forums successfully . My 2 cents worth.

I think the best approach, and it would be a pain in the butt for Rich or his designee, is to set a price, and have folks order and pay for the orders in advance. That way there is a firm commitment and and no guesswork on numbers, nor is someone left holding the bag for cases that were ordered and not paid for. Just a thought, but I've seen it done this way on other forums successfully . My 2 cents worth.
works for me

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.