ADG BRASS FOR SHERMAN SHORTMAG

I like it! Can't wait to get my hands on the 50 I ordered. I just have to finish making my bolt and receiver! Always too many projects!

I couldn't stand to wait until tomorrow either so I went out and measured a sample of 10 random brass. My findings were very similar to Ryan. i also found they were approx 6 grains lighter than my prepped Norma 7 SS brass. which had thinner necks. Hopefully, this will equate to CAPACITY!! View attachment 100665

I recently bought and fire formed some ADG 308 brass. It is definitely quite a bit heavier and thicker than commercial Winchester brass. Measured internal capacity @ 56.1 grains, which was identical to Lake City and Winchester brass fired in my rifle.

If the .308 brass is any indication, the SS brass should be good, strong stuff, without paying a capacity penalty (as is often the case with strong brass like Lapua and RWS).

I recently bought and fire formed some ADG 308 brass. It is definitely quite a bit heavier and thicker than commercial Winchester brass. Measured internal capacity @ 56.1 grains, which was identical to Lake City and Winchester brass fired in my rifle.

If the .308 brass is any indication, the SS brass should be good, strong stuff, without paying a capacity penalty (as is often the case with strong brass like Lapua and RWS).

Will find out soon

OK, here are the initial results from fire forming the ADG bass. As I previously mentioned, the brass had to be neck turned as it was shipped for testing, but this will be corrected in the production run with the purchase of a new punch. I only did a small test today just to see how things looked for tweaking the production run. I currently have rifles chambered in 6.5 SST and 7 SS so those were the ones I worked with. I first measured the length on the 7 SS head stamped version at 1.962", 1.964 and 1.962. I then measured the 6.5 SST version at 1.955", 1.955", and 1.954". All of the necks were turned to give approx. .005" clearance (.0025" per side). The SST was necked down with a simple stroke of the press, and we're ready to go.
I loaded the 7ss with 55 grains of RL26 behind a 180 VLD and the 6.5 SST with 55 grains RL26 behind a 147 ELDM and headed out to Inland Paper Co. land to pull the trigger. Everything went off smoothly as expected.
After returning to the shop, I measured the fire formed lengths of the 7 ss at 1.952, 1.952". and 1.950". Pretty much right where I wanted to be for .010" trim at 1.950". I then measured the 6.5 SST at 1.952", 1.954" and 1.952". Again, pretty much on the money to square up for .010' trim. You will note that the SST shrinks considerably less because it is only removing a little taper from the case. This is why full loads can be used an accuracy is very good with the first firing.
Next I measured the case volume of H2o on the formed 6.5 sst cases at 70.1, 70.2, and 70.1 grains. This fell right in line with the very close tolerance on brass weight measured by both "Idaho Trecker" and I last night. This is an approx. .5 grain increase over the prepped Norma brass that we have been using. I didn't bother with the 7ss brass yet, but will do so later. It should be consistent with the 6.5 SST increase which would put it at around 72.5 grains.
Tomorrow I will start prepping and dividing up brass to ship to testers around the country who have various chamberings.
So far, I am very impressed with the close tolerances that I've seen and the nice smooth machine work. I hope to get enough prepped for my 2 rifles to do some bench work later this week. Here are the pics of the ADG brass as shipped vs the 6.5 SST and 7 SS fire formed brass.
ADG Brass fire formed to 6.5sst & 7ss.jpg

OK, here are the initial results from fire forming the ADG bass. As I previously mentioned, the brass had to be neck turned as it was shipped for testing, but this will be corrected in the production run with the purchase of a new punch. I only did a small test today just to see how things looked for tweaking the production run. I currently have rifles chambered in 6.5 SST and 7 SS so those were the ones I worked with. I first measured the length on the 7 SS head stamped version at 1.962", 1.964 and 1.962. I then measured the 6.5 SST version at 1.955", 1.955", and 1.954". All of the necks were turned to give approx. .005" clearance (.0025" per side). The SST was necked down with a simple stroke of the press, and we're ready to go.
I loaded the 7ss with 55 grains of RL26 behind a 180 VLD and the 6.5 SST with 55 grains RL26 behind a 147 ELDM and headed out to Inland Paper Co. land to pull the trigger. Everything went off smoothly as expected.
After returning to the shop, I measured the fire formed lengths of the 7 ss at 1.952, 1.952". and 1.950". Pretty much right where I wanted to be for .010" trim at 1.950". I then measured the 6.5 SST at 1.952", 1.954" and 1.952". Again, pretty much on the money to square up for .010' trim. You will note that the SST shrinks considerably less because it is only removing a little taper from the case. This is why full loads can be used an accuracy is very good with the first firing.
Next I measured the case volume of H2o on the formed 6.5 sst cases at 70.1, 70.2, and 70.1 grains. This fell right in line with the very close tolerance on brass weight measured by both "Idaho Trecker" and I last night. This is an approx. .5 grain increase over the prepped Norma brass that we have been using. I didn't bother with the 7ss brass yet, but will do so later. It should be consistent with the 6.5 SST increase which would put it at around 72.5 grains.
Tomorrow I will start prepping and dividing up brass to ship to testers around the country who have various chamberings.
So far, I am very impressed with the close tolerances that I've seen and the nice smooth machine work. I hope to get enough prepped for my 2 rifles to do some bench work later this week. Here are the pics of the ADG brass as shipped vs the 6.5 SST and 7 SS fire formed brass.View attachment 100761
Very nice Rich!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.