6.5 sherman shortmag field test

Hey elk, just ordered a PTG AICS bottom metal today, got 2 manners MCS- T5A in today,one for the 6.5 Creedmore. Its such a nice stock the plans for the other may change and I might use it for the 6.5 SS,LOL. You stated you had to use the dremel a little to instal the PTG Bottom metal, did you mean on the stock or did you have to fool with feed ramp? I just saw today that MagPul is making 5 and 10 round 308 mags in the AICS specs so they will fit the PTG and other bottom metal such as Badger and others.
Im wondering if they will be able to be modified to work with the 6.5 SS ? At $33.00 apiece it would be nice.

Dave

Hey elk, just ordered a PTG AICS bottom metal today, got 2 manners MCS- T5A in today,one for the 6.5 Creedmore. Its such a nice stock the plans for the other may change and I might use it for the 6.5 SS,LOL. You stated you had to use the dremel a little to instal the PTG Bottom metal, did you mean on the stock or did you have to fool with feed ramp? I just saw today that MagPul is making 5 and 10 round 308 mags in the AICS specs so they will fit the PTG and other bottom metal such as Badger and others.
Im wondering if they will be able to be modified to work with the 6.5 SS ? At $33.00 apiece it would be nice.

Dave

Just a minor amount of in letting into the stock with my manners which was for a Rem SA.

Quite a few have been built with some very good results. People are getting pretty consistent data with useable velocities running from 3150' to 3300' with barrels from 22" to 30". The best powders seem to be RL26, H1000, N570, and RL33 with bullets from 140-160 grans.........Rich

That is awesome. Whats the best combo in a 22" barrel? Id like to shoot the 160 matrix. What speed could i reach? Anybody sell brass for it? What has barrel life been like?

That is awesome. Whats the best combo in a 22" barrel? Id like to shoot the 160 matrix. What speed could i reach? Anybody sell brass for it? What has barrel life been like?

With a 22" barrel you would max out at around 3000' with RL33 or N570. RL26 would get you close too. I have ready to fire form Norma brass in stock. We don't have any with enough rounds yet to know what barrel life will be but I think around 2500? "Bigngreen" has over 800 through his and he says the bore scope shows little wear............Rich

New Shirts
sherman blue elk shirt.jpg

With a 22" barrel you would max out at around 3000' with RL33 or N570. RL26 would get you close too. I have ready to fire form Norma brass in stock. We don't have any with enough rounds yet to know what barrel life will be but I think around 2500? "Bigngreen" has over 800 through his and he says the bore scope shows little wear............Rich

I'm just about to hit 1700 rounds with 60 gr N570 and 140 VLD's. Still shoots great. I did a few 3 shot groups and biggest was .6 moa. I'm gonna get it bore scoped soon and see the damage.

I'm just about to hit 1700 rounds with 60 gr N570 and 140 VLD's. Still shoots great. I did a few 3 shot groups and biggest was .6 moa. I'm gonna get it bore scoped soon and see the damage.

Good info Mateo! Thanks much...........Rich

Last i chrono'd it i was reading 3168 average. That's in a 25" gain twist barrel.

Thats pretty dang good speed. How do you like the gain twist? What brand is it? Does it help with barrel life and is it easir on the bullet jacket?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.