7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Bell & Carlson's at Stockysstocks or McMillan are all I know of. There are wood one's out there too. You'll probably have to do some measuring or have the gunsmith do it before you order the stock to get it right. Your barrel will shoot anything up to and including the heavy Bergers coming out, will you be carrying a lot? If not, maybe 28" then you will probably have the longest reaching stw on here, especially if you shot the 190+ Bergers.

Good Luck

Would any of the " brethren" have bottom metal for a long action Winchester? It can be one piece, or two piece. I was going to look for a blind magazine stock, but everybody seems to have hinged floor plate models only.
This is for post 64' push feed. Thanks guys.

Bob,

Look at this : Long Action Winchester : Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. - Store Home, Redefining Quality in Manufacturing

Pacific Tool and Gauge has several diffrent ones to choose from. Used Post 64 Win bottom metal is really hard to come by. These are really high quality stuff. You'll need to measure your hole spacing to find the exact fit for your 670 action.

the pricing on their web site is right on with the pricing from places like Brownells or Midway. Some of the options are even a little cheaper...

Hope this helps,

Dan

Bill, no problem, thanks for the update.

When I got my early Sendero, I also got a bunch of Nosler 140 BTs, not knowing how fragile the BTs are. The 139 SST should be a better choice.

My first loads for the 140 BT were from Layne's Shooting Times article and gave very close to 3500 fps. Quickly saw that his loads were not what I wanted to shoot in my rifle. My present 140BT load gives 3350 fps with 1/2 moa out past 300 yds. Don't have my COL on hand, but I seat about /1/64" shorter than magazine box.

Jim
The Interbond is a better choice in the Hornady bullets. Everything Iv'e shot with the STW using the SST's is showing just huge gaping exits and extreme internal damage out to 750yds.

You get better controlled expansion with the Interbond but still get more than ample internal damage to do the job. The amount of meat I've lost even with perfect shoulder/spine shots just isn't acceptable to me.

Would any of the " brethren" have bottom metal for a long action Winchester? It can be one piece, or two piece. I was going to look for a blind magazine stock, but everybody seems to have hinged floor plate models only.
This is for post 64' push feed. Thanks guys.
I'm pretty sure you can order it from Winchester directly or from PT&G if they don't have it and you can't find it from someone used.

So, I bought a 7mm tube on here and gonna think about sending my gun to Dan in NC to do the work. It's a kreiger #15 8.5 twist. Think ill have him finish it at 26inches. Anything else y'all can think?? Ohh. Also, going to get a stock and have him bed it and all so that I'll get a semi custom out of it. Anyone know what stock will work with a huskavarna imperial 7mm???

Thanks. One more step toward the brothahood!!!
Dan who in NC?

Bob,

Look at this : Long Action Winchester : Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. - Store Home, Redefining Quality in Manufacturing

Pacific Tool and Gauge has several diffrent ones to choose from. Used Post 64 Win bottom metal is really hard to come by. These are really high quality stuff. You'll need to measure your hole spacing to find the exact fit for your 670 action.

the pricing on their web site is right on with the pricing from places like Brownells or Midway. Some of the options are even a little cheaper...

Hope this helps,

Dan

Dano, thanks for the link. I went there, and saw a few good possibilities. After I get the barrel chambered and installed, I may for a while just set it into the stock that it is presently in. ( after a few modifications, and bedding of course ). Then I'll save my pennies and get a bottom metal set up, then get the stock I think I want to go with. I'm thinking the BC medalist / Alaskan . It looks like I may have to open the barrel channel bait anyway, as the # 4 Brux is still wider then the channel dimensions are. I'll figure it out. OR, Boyds has Laminated " Praire Hunter" stocks that look decent, that are for blind Mag....... Choices, Choices , Choices... That's part of the fun. You've been there!

Hey I thought I would get a better answer here. What pica tinny rail would you STW brothers say for stiller long action , Remington long and short actions to put a nightforce or vortex on . If you like a particular set of rings that would help also
Thanks

Get Stillers, I have the predator action on my stw and I bought Stillers, make sure to get the one with the correct screw size.

Go Stiller...

So, I bought a 7mm tube on here and gonna think about sending my gun to Dan in NC to do the work. It's a kreiger #15 8.5 twist. Think ill have him finish it at 26inches. Anything else y'all can think?? Ohh. Also, going to get a stock and have him bed it and all so that I'll get a semi custom out of it. Anyone know what stock will work with a huskavarna imperial 7mm???

Thanks. One more step toward the brothahood!!!

Dan who in NC?

I think he is referring to "Dan's Custom Gun Service"

Dan's Custom Gun Service

I hear he does excellent gunsmithing.

Here's a thread that he posted on twin 300 wbys that he built out.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/300-wby-mag-97894/

Dano, thanks for the link. I went there, and saw a few good possibilities. After I get the barrel chambered and installed, I may for a while just set it into the stock that it is presently in. ( after a few modifications, and bedding of course ). Then I'll save my pennies and get a bottom metal set up, then get the stock I think I want to go with. I'm thinking the BC medalist / Alaskan . It looks like I may have to open the barrel channel bait anyway, as the # 4 Brux is still wider then the channel dimensions are. I'll figure it out. OR, Boyds has Laminated " Praire Hunter" stocks that look decent, that are for blind Mag....... Choices, Choices , Choices... That's part of the fun. You've been there!

Yep,

I've certainly been there. That looks like a good plan and the way to go step by step to get a gun you want. that's how I've done 3 rifles, and finally ended up with what I like.

Who says you have to build a rifle all at once????

Dan

Hello
I have a Remington Model 700 bdl in 7mm mag. Made in the 70's. Wood stock with the hinged floor plate. It will not shoot good groups any more. Was thinking about reaming it to 7stw, new 26-28" barrel, jewell trigger, and do everything i need to to make it a shooter. Can i keep the same stock? With out it being a single shot? will the bullets fit in the magazine? It was my daddys gun and really wanted to keep it looking the same except longer barrel.

Sorry if this has been answered. Thanks for any advise.

Precision stock works in New Braunfels Texas. I'm going to be restocking four or five of my rigs with their stocks over the next year or so.

Hello
I have a Remington Model 700 bdl in 7mm mag. Made in the 70's. Wood stock with the hinged floor plate. It will not shoot good groups any more. Was thinking about reaming it to 7stw, new 26-28" barrel, jewell trigger, and do everything i need to to make it a shooter. Can i keep the same stock? With out it being a single shot? will the bullets fit in the magazine? It was my daddys gun and really wanted to keep it looking the same except longer barrel.

Sorry if this has been answered. Thanks for any advise.

I'd start with the barrel and trigger; that should suffice unless the wood has softened like the wood on my bdl did. Then you'll need to either pillar bed it or replace the stock. The mag-well on a remmy will do just a bit over 3.600"(around 3.650" usually) so the 7stw will fit just fine.

If the original barrel isn't THAT bad you may just be able to have it reamed and re-stamped. That would be for you and a gun-smith to discuss though as it'll cost enough to play with the original barrel it may not be worth it.

Recent Posts