7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hello
I have a Remington Model 700 bdl in 7mm mag. Made in the 70's. Wood stock with the hinged floor plate. It will not shoot good groups any more. Was thinking about reaming it to 7stw, new 26-28" barrel, jewell trigger, and do everything i need to to make it a shooter. Can i keep the same stock? With out it being a single shot? will the bullets fit in the magazine? It was my daddys gun and really wanted to keep it looking the same except longer barrel.

Sorry if this has been answered. Thanks for any advise.

Grumpy, the gun yo have is a great frame to start with, and yes, you can keep the stock you have, unless you are wanting to go with a heavy barrel, but it sounds like you want to make a " carry " rifle.
As to the question of can you ream it to the STW, yes, but there is one caveat. Your barrel is probably a 24 in barrel,and this cartridge operates BETTER with a 26 in barrel. It has been done, but you can not get optimum velocity with a 24. You can go to Bruno Shooters Supply, and pick a barrel that is close to the contour you have, have it threaded, chambered, and headspaced, and you are in business. Kreiger has a barrel in a #4 contour at Brunos, that is just a little bigger, but very close to what you have now. It is a great cartridge, but I must warn you, it is ADDICTIVE.
On a Remington action, a usable OAL will end up about 3.680 +-. Hope this helps, enjoy the ride!!!

Hello
I have a Remington Model 700 bdl in 7mm mag. Made in the 70's. Wood stock with the hinged floor plate. It will not shoot good groups any more. Was thinking about reaming it to 7stw, new 26-28" barrel, jewell trigger, and do everything i need to to make it a shooter. Can i keep the same stock? With out it being a single shot? will the bullets fit in the magazine? It was my daddys gun and really wanted to keep it looking the same except longer barrel.

Sorry if this has been answered. Thanks for any advise.
You could just have it cut off and set back and rechambered in 7mm STW without changing anything else. That would be the cheapest way to go.

Next would be to rebarrell in 7mm STW. Either way I'd have the action trued and a good pillar bedding done and make sure it's completely free floated. Most of the Remingtons intentionally had a point of contact out at the end of the forearm that was designed to help but in most cases made them inherently inconsistent and inaccurate.

As long as you start off with a good 700 BDL action and bottom metal the sky is the limit on what you can do with aftermarket upgrades.

You could just have it cut off and set back and rechambered in 7mm STW without changing anything else. That would be the cheapest way to go.

Next would be to rebarrell in 7mm STW. Either way I'd have the action trued and a good pillar bedding done and make sure it's completely free floated. Most of the Remingtons intentionally had a point of contact out at the end of the forearm that was designed to help but in most cases made them inherently inconsistent and inaccurate.

As long as you start off with a good 700 BDL action and bottom metal the sky is the limit on what you can do with aftermarket upgrades.

That forward contact pad has peeved me more than once on a remmy. I've only got one of 4 of the rems I own currently shooting with the forward pad, and it's my 300 rum. My 7stw, 7 rem, and 375h@h have all been floated. My 300 rum is a bdl J-key rifle and has had NO alterations and is a consistant 1/2 moa rifle. My 7stw has been through the mill and is still a fair but not stellar rifle. You can put a lot of $ into a rifle, but sometimes they either shoot or they don't. An aside here; my 300 rum is easily the most crooked rifle I own, as I can't even put the scope caps on my 6-18x nikon when zero'd if I'm using weaver bases-- I had to use Leopold to take advantage of windage. It'll do 1/2 moa with monotony.
Start with the barrel re-chamber or replace ( gunsmith will often insist on truing the action on a barrel replace) and either tune or replace the trigger. Go from there as you deem necessary but unless you are simply throwing money at it, you may actually want to shoot for accuracy to see if it "is soup yet" as a buddy says when he asks if something is done before you do a lot more than you really have to with the rifle.

That forward contact pad has peeved me more than once on a remmy. I've only got one of 4 of the rems I own currently shooting with the forward pad, and it's my 300 rum. My 7stw, 7 rem, and 375h@h have all been floated. My 300 rum is a bdl J-key rifle and has had NO alterations and is a consistant 1/2 moa rifle. My 7stw has been through the mill and is still a fair but not stellar rifle. You can put a lot of $ into a rifle, but sometimes they either shoot or they don't. An aside here; my 300 rum is easily the most crooked rifle I own, as I can't even put the scope caps on my 6-18x nikon when zero'd if I'm using weaver bases-- I had to use Leopold to take advantage of windage. It'll do 1/2 moa with monotony.
Start with the barrel re-chamber or replace ( gunsmith will often insist on truing the action on a barrel replace) and either tune or replace the trigger. Go from there as you deem necessary but unless you are simply throwing money at it, you may actually want to shoot for accuracy to see if it "is soup yet" as a buddy says when he asks if something is done before you do a lot more than you really have to with the rifle.
Yep, but sometimes when it's an inherited rifle a guy is willing to spend what it takes to make it shoot.

My nephew inherited my dad's 700bdl LH in 7mm Remmy and it's one of those that really needed to go through the shredder. Great for two shots and after that it's like tossing knuckle balls with your eyes closed.

We'll probably have 1000.00 in it before it's "right" but it means so much to him there just wasn't any alternative.

As far as stocks go, John at precisionstockworks in Texas has an absolutely awesome stock. I have one and I'd like to have any of my hunting rigs with the same stock. They took years in designing this stock, it's awesome for prone and offhand shooting. It's balanced, looks like a hunting stock should and they have McMillan make them on contract so you know the quality is there. They are a little cheaper than McMillan's so that is cool too. You can choose any of the options on it that McMillan offers, I love the feel of it. Your hand just slides in behind the trigger. Wildrose, everyone should have at least 1 of their stocks. John's a good guy and he services the business and will chat with you.

Yep, but sometimes when it's an inherited rifle a guy is willing to spend what it takes to make it shoot.

My nephew inherited my dad's 700bdl LH in 7mm Remmy and it's one of those that really needed to go through the shredder. Great for two shots and after that it's like tossing knuckle balls with your eyes closed.

We'll probably have 1000.00 in it before it's "right" but it means so much to him there just wasn't any alternative.

Basically my earlier post was a very long winded "know when to say when".

Basically my earlier post was a very long winded "know when to say when".
Yep I'm with you. For some the most sensible and economical route is to leave "Old Grampa" all original and put it in the case and take it out to clean it once or twice a year and just save up the extra dollars to buy a good action and start from scratch.

Thank you all for the advice!!... Yes i plan on a 26-28" barrel, trued action, pillar bedded stock and jewell trigger maybe. For i am just learning about custom guns, reading and listening as much as i can to learn. I wanted a bigger long range gun.... and i love the 7 mm caliber... so i figured a sooped up 7 stw was the way to go... Thank you all again for the advice.

Thank you all for the advice!!... Yes i plan on a 26-28" barrel, trued action, pillar bedded stock and jewell trigger maybe. For i am just learning about custom guns, reading and listening as much as i can to learn. I wanted a bigger long range gun.... and i love the 7 mm caliber... so i figured a sooped up 7 stw was the way to go... Thank you all again for the advice.
You're definitely on the right track then.