7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Yes sir. Just lucky, got a great gun. That gives me .002 jump. Shoots 5 (retumbo &139grSST) into .72"+- as long as I do my share.

I think what he was referring to is that at your COL, it will not fit into his, or ANY standard magazine. A Remington mag is about 3.690 +-. a Winchester, is about 3.630. So, obviously you are single feeding them, right?
That is some awesome velocity. How does that bullet hold up on impact? Just curious.
How much free bore does your gun have??

just got my lee press in and my die will be here in about 5 days. im looking for a reloading book that has a good amount of info on the 7stw whic one is the best to get?im thinking about shooting some 160 gr partitions or 150 gr barnes ttsx. any body have any load data on this?

just got my lee press in and my die will be here in about 5 days. im looking for a reloading book that has a good amount of info on the 7stw whic one is the best to get?im thinking about shooting some 160 gr partitions or 150 gr barnes ttsx. any body have any load data on this?
Hornady 9th Edition. I strongly encourage you to read the first chapter of the book and commit it to memory before you start loading.

They go into real detail, but with terms a layman can understand easily about ballistics and reloading.

I think what he was referring to is that at your COL, it will not fit into his, or ANY standard magazine. A Remington mag is about 3.690 +-. a Winchester, is about 3.630. So, obviously you are single feeding them, right?
That is some awesome velocity. How does that bullet hold up on impact? Just curious.
How much free bore does your gun have??

My error. I'm currently moving my reloading setup to my son's house so I'm only able to refer to my notes and some targets still here. Actual COL on that load is more nearly 3.60. My notes refer to overall as measured to the ogive using a comparator; consequently the comparator length (+-0.50") needs to be subtracted from my noted 4.088 in order to get the true COL. ie 4.088 - .50 = 3.588. In my haste to give an answer I forgot! Need to unpack equipment & paperwork to get freebore info, and measure comparator to get actual COL. Regarding bullet condition, don't know on that one as it was a pass through. On a different occasion @ about 40yds, on a high front shoulder shot billet completely fragmented; but then again that buck ever took a step, or a breath.

Yes sir. Just lucky, got a great gun. That gives me .002 jump. Shoots 5 (retumbo &139grSST) into .72"+- as long as I do my share.

Jim,

My error. I'm currently moving my reloading setup to my son's house so I'm only able to refer to my notes and some targets still here. Actual COL on that load is more nearly 3.60. My notes refer to overall as measured to the ogive using a comparator; consequently the comparator length (+-0.50") needs to be subtracted from my noted 4.088 in order to get the true COL. ie 4.088 - .50 = 3.588. In my haste to give an answer I forgot! Need to unpack equipment & paperwork to get freebore info, and measure comparator to get actual COL. I apologize for the confusion.

Bill

Bill, no problem, thanks for the update.

When I got my early Sendero, I also got a bunch of Nosler 140 BTs, not knowing how fragile the BTs are. The 139 SST should be a better choice.

My first loads for the 140 BT were from Layne's Shooting Times article and gave very close to 3500 fps. Quickly saw that his loads were not what I wanted to shoot in my rifle. My present 140BT load gives 3350 fps with 1/2 moa out past 300 yds. Don't have my COL on hand, but I seat about /1/64" shorter than magazine box.

Jim

Thanks Jim, 1/2 moa @ that range is a winner. I'll tuck that load info away and give it a try. Anxious to see what these new Nosler LRs are all about. 150 gr with a BC of .611 is great. They claim "good expansion for a wide range of velocities". We'll see.

Bill

My error. I'm currently moving my reloading setup to my son's house so I'm only able to refer to my notes and some targets still here. Actual COL on that load is more nearly 3.60. My notes refer to overall as measured to the ogive using a comparator; consequently the comparator length (+-0.50") needs to be subtracted from my noted 4.088 in order to get the true COL. ie 4.088 - .50 = 3.588. In my haste to give an answer I forgot! Need to unpack equipment & paperwork to get freebore info, and measure comparator to get actual COL. Regarding bullet condition, don't know on that one as it was a pass through. On a different occasion @ about 40yds, on a high front shoulder shot billet completely fragmented; but then again that buck ever took a step, or a breath.

Well, that all makes sense, but it is possible to load put to that length, but it have to be single fed. And at the length you are now, it sounds like it should fit into any action, and magazine . The rem is longer, and the Winchester usable mag space is about 3.630+-.
As to the performance with your bullet, the 40 yard shot results are completely understandable, and the results at the longer range shot sounds good. I have some of those, that I had originally intended to shoot in my Sako 75' in STW. It tolerated them, but couldn't get them to shoot uniformly. My seven mag 700LSS loves them. I am building a 280 as we speak, and may try them in that. Your velocity and accuracy seems very good, so, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Good luck with your unpacking, and setting up everything. Maybe your new set up will let you organize a little better.

Fot the 7mm's hornady seems to be verey good reference, but Lyman and Nosler are also good reference( but Nosler will blow smoke at you for 7rem speeds(they are pretty close on 7stw)). Never load shop for the highest powder charge, but do look at other manuals to filter out the bull.

Would any of the " brethren" have bottom metal for a long action Winchester? It can be one piece, or two piece. I was going to look for a blind magazine stock, but everybody seems to have hinged floor plate models only.
This is for post 64' push feed. Thanks guys.

Well, that all makes sense, but it is possible to load put to that length, but it have to be single fed. And at the length you are now, it sounds like it should fit into any action, and magazine . The rem is longer, and the Winchester usable mag space is about 3.630+-.
As to the performance with your bullet, the 40 yard shot results are completely understandable, and the results at the longer range shot sounds good. I have some of those, that I had originally intended to shoot in my Sako 75' in STW. It tolerated them, but couldn't get them to shoot uniformly. My seven mag 700LSS loves them. I am building a 280 as we speak, and may try them in that. Your velocity and accuracy seems very good, so, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Good luck with your unpacking, and setting up everything. Maybe your new set up will let you organize a little better.

Yep, I have several that I load for accuracy only, punching paper, that turn my gun into a single shot; I believe one woodchuck round (110TNT) as well. Thanks for questioning that post,although it gave me a headache and an extended senior moment! I use the comparator for all reloading so my own short hand and haste tripped me up. Good luck with the SSTs.

Bill

So, I bought a 7mm tube on here and gonna think about sending my gun to Dan in NC to do the work. It's a kreiger #15 8.5 twist. Think ill have him finish it at 26inches. Anything else y'all can think?? Ohh. Also, going to get a stock and have him bed it and all so that I'll get a semi custom out of it. Anyone know what stock will work with a huskavarna imperial 7mm???

Thanks. One more step toward the brothahood!!!

Recent Posts