7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I still have 80 brand new Rem brass, but when I saw that Cabela's had some, I ordered another fifty. Today, I got an email that said it shipped, so they must have them in stock! Of course, the fleece hoodie that was on closeout listed as in stock, showed unavailable discontinued! Dangit, I wanted a nice camo fleece hoodie for $22!!!! Oh well!

Any of you guys had any experience with Stoney Point Steady stix? I have a Harris bipod but I don't like to carry my rifle with it attached and I thought the strady stix my be a good compromise.

Any of you guys had any experience with Stoney Point Steady stix? I have a Harris bipod but I don't like to carry my rifle with it attached and I thought the strady stix my be a good compromise.

My Father uses them. He actually prefers them to his Harris Bi-pod. I am the exact opposite and carry all of my rifles with a bi-pod attached. I've used his steady sticks once when I couldn't get to a flat sopt in time for a bi-pod shot and then the bi-pods base actually helped with the steady sticks making it a very sturdy situation.

Dan

I've used the Stoney Point sticks for years. Once you get the hang of it they are very fast to deploy.
They allow for uphill or downhill and moving targets, way quicker than a Harris Bi-Pod. I use those on my
varmint rifles.

I've used the Stoney Point sticks for years. Once you get the hang of it they are very fast to deploy.
They allow for uphill or downhill and moving targets, way quicker than a Harris Bi-Pod. I use those on my
varmint rifles.
Same here but basically I just use them while stalking or if I'm in cover too tall to set up on a bipod.

They have their advantages for sure but they also have one big disadvantage which is being one extra thing to carry. Not a big deal if you are wearing even a small day pack but if you are on a short hunt and not packing it's a pain in the butt.

does anyone have any experince with RAM MAGNUM powder? i keep seeing loads for it in the books i have but i have never used it or really heard of it before
I've used it back when they called it "big boy"... Decent stuff; basically just another slow burning ball powder. I've gone to Reloader for the most part though.

Well, I'm starting to think I've got to get rid of the walnut stock on my lh 7stw. The **** screws loosened up again, this time hex head screws pulled down with a long allen and loc-tited with blue. I'm at a loss here and can't really trust the rifle at present.
I was at the range today at the 100 yard line and my 7mmstw pitched a group just north of a moa. O.K., I thought she'll settle in and do better second group with a fouled pipe. WRONG, the dang thing pitched a 2.5" group. I grabbed my allens a couple of groups later, and sure enough the front trigger guard screw was barely finger tight. I pulled it down and it went back to moa on a hot barrel.
So, should I hunt down an aftermarket stock, pillar bed this one, or burn it in effigy?? Possibly pull the stock off of my 300 rum to test-bed the 7stw on to shore up my trust in the rifle before deer season?? Or will that just rub in bad karma on my 300 rum, a totally proven 1/2 moa rifle??

What kind of bedding? Have you thought of pillars too?

What kind of bedding? Have you thought of pillars too?
We did pillar bed the 7stw I was talking about and the accuracy came back to 1 moa or so and stable. I will be working with the rifle in the coming months as I want better accuracy but for now it is at least stable. I have designs on a mid weight rifle on that action if the stars don't align on the bdl lh with a laminate stock with an alluminim bedding block with an aftermarket trigger and a 28" fluted mid-weight barrel but that'll have to wait until I have the $.

Recent Posts