7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I have heard a lot of good things about the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 and was considering one with the Rapid Z 800 reticle. However I learned that Leupold is coming out with a new "MOA" reticle so I put my plans on hold. I spoke with a guy at Leupold who described it to me and when I asked if he was sure of one detail he said "I should be - I designed it". So there is some credibility there. First time I spoke to him he said it would be coming out late fall early winter this year. I checked back again recently and was told it has been held up by "legal" and they now anticipate availabillity in spring of '13. Just thought you guys would like to know.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 and was considering one with the Rapid Z 800 reticle. However I learned that Leupold is coming out with a new "MOA" reticle so I put my plans on hold. I spoke with a guy at Leupold who described it to me and when I asked if he was sure of one detail he said "I should be - I designed it". So there is some credibility there. First time I spoke to him he said it would be coming out late fall early winter this year. I checked back again recently and was told it has been held up by "legal" and they now anticipate availabillity in spring of '13. Just thought you guys would like to know.
Ive had great luck with the Zeiss Conquests (own 3) Leupold Mark 4 (own 4) and Leupold VX3's with side focus (own 4).

The one thing the Conquests give up to the leupold's is the 1" vs 30mm Tube which limits the adjustment range, but out to 1,000yds with the high speed rounds most of us shoot it's no problem at all.

The Conquests with the 50mm OBJ are also incredible in low light and I think have a slight edge on the Leupold's and most others for that matter in such conditions.

What a tragedy in Newtown Connecticut. Our thoughts and prayers to all those affected. I'm in total dis belief. This is going to leave a scar in more ways than one.

What a tragedy in Newtown Connecticut. Our thoughts and prayers to all those affected. I'm in total dis belief. This is going to leave a scar in more ways than one.

I am with you on that brother. I have had to go find things to do to keep my mind off of it best I can as I get down too far.

It's un-imagineable, makes me feel really sick and scares me to think someone would choose children of all helpless people. What is this world coming to? I'm saying some prayers.

It's un-imagineable, makes me feel really sick and scares me to think someone would choose children of all helpless people. What is this world coming to? I'm saying some prayers.
It's both sad the moron shot children and that as he shot himself we can't string him up as a deterrent to others being morons. Eliminating soft targets would do a lot to stop this bull from happening. I feel for the parents here; I've got kids myself.

I think 2 things should come from this, one being to look closely at individuals who are mentally ill and there could be more done at that level and advocating people to own and carry weapons to protect themselves and others. I read that in Switzerland you must be trained and own a firearm to retain your citizenship. I think that's the direction we need to go. It would be one of the only ways to avoid a coming military state in the USA, because ultimately we either protect ourselves and others or we will have police and military in every public place and not be able to protect ourselves in private homes if gun restrictions continue. Look where NYC is, no firearm ownership by anyone other than law enforcement there. The crime rate especially violent is out of control in NYC.

I think 2 things should come from this, one being to look closely at individuals who are mentally ill and there could be more done at that level and advocating people to own and carry weapons to protect themselves and others. I read that in Switzerland you must be trained and own a firearm to retain your citizenship. I think that's the direction we need to go. It would be one of the only ways to avoid a coming military state in the USA, because ultimately we either protect ourselves and others or we will have police and military in every public place and not be able to protect ourselves in private homes if gun restrictions continue. Look where NYC is, no firearm ownership by anyone other than law enforcement there. The crime rate especially violent is out of control in NYC.
We were indeed a much more sane, and safer society when we truly had a "gun culture" in this country where pretty much everyone owned and was trained, usually from early childhood how to use and respect firearms.

Today, sadly they are so unavailable for many that they carry such a mystique about them that they become the focus of obsession for the mentally deranged who seek fame/infamy even if it is only a fleeting moment before their own deaths.

Turds like this idiot in CT cannot be stopped by any amount of laws restricting gun rights. Take away their access to guns and they'll make fuel/fertilizer bombs and go out as suicide bombers.

The first line of defense in this nation should always be well armed populous, not it's last line of defense in desperate times.

May the souls of the innocent find peace and comfort with our lord and hopefully this idiot will spend an eternity in hell for his crimes.

Well said. Love your children, help them understand, feeling safe for a child and no to feagoing back to school is the job us parents have right now. God bless us that this psycho didn't take more lives. Be vigilent.

what a sad event that happened my wife and i have a little girl thats only a few years off from school and we pray nothing like that happens in our area or anywhere

i recently bought a ruger no1 stw. it doesnt shoot good at all in my opinion. 2 inch at 100 yard been loading 168g berger with rl22 just about tried every load for this combo and best was half grain over max with just over moa. at 100 ive read rl22 is better for 140 grain bullets. anyway i plan to switch to rl25 or magnum but at 336 to 350 yards it barely hits paper and i belive it is stringing. last load 168g rl22 70g coal 3.74 shot around 4 inchs at 350 yards. wonding it the hicks accurizer might be worth the investment. all groups look like a diamond at 100 yards. i hate to burn powder if its the gun \

ps load for my 7600 pump produces dime size at 100 and my loads for 7mm mag abolt and savage produce sub moa at 225 so i am capable for loads and shoot moa thanks for ur help i love this caliber

what a sad event that happened my wife and i have a little girl thats only a few years off from school and we pray nothing like that happens in our area or anywhere

i recently bought a ruger no1 stw. it doesnt shoot good at all in my opinion. 2 inch at 100 yard been loading 168g berger with rl22 just about tried every load for this combo and best was half grain over max with just over moa. at 100 ive read rl22 is better for 140 grain bullets. anyway i plan to switch to rl25 or magnum but at 336 to 350 yards it barely hits paper and i belive it is stringing. last load 168g rl22 70g coal 3.74 shot around 4 inchs at 350 yards. wonding it the hicks accurizer might be worth the investment. all groups look like a diamond at 100 yards. i hate to burn powder if its the gun \

ps load for my 7600 pump produces dime size at 100 and my loads for 7mm mag abolt and savage produce sub moa at 225 so i am capable for loads and shoot moa thanks for ur help i love this caliber

Usually when a Ruger No1. is innaccurate it's due to the forend not being set correctly. double check the forend, they are really picky. I've had to accurize a few of them nd that usually helped , one had to be bedded and one had to be free floated/ bedded combo which was the worst casse. All were able to achieve sub MOA my working with the forearm.

This is the only Design flaw I can think of with a Ruger no1. I"m hopeing to pick up one or two of them for my left handed boys this year.

Dan

yea my forarm touches the barrel ive never bedded or floated any guns from what i read the hicks balances barrel harmonic and floats the forearm then bedding is needed for clearance of part and usually bedding of rear forearm also read about orings and spacers between bolt that hold forearm and spring assembly for action thus spacing forearm from barrel best way?

Floating the forearm is actually straight forward. It's just a matter of removing a little wood from under the front end of the stock just under the barrel. The forend is held in place by that angled screw and the problem is that there is quite a bit of play in the whole set up until it is tightened down. This is why it is so hard to reset the forearm consistantly. Being held up by pressure imparted by a 45 degree angle pulled upward and back at the same time. Bedding and re inletting the whole set up produces a fit that is much better than what the Factory is able to produce and relieves the stress that the forarm places on the Barrel.

I have never looked at the Hicks system, as I haven't had a No1 for a few years and haven't had to mess with one for some time. If you think that would help give it a try.

It seems that this needs to be addressed first before load development could be considered.

Hope this helps.

Dan

My Ruger No. 1's shoot MOA with factory ammunition and if I could get a Jewel type trigger weight it would be easy to build a load to shoot less than 1/2 ". Does the trigger affect your accuracy? Triggers affect mine substantially. When my line is set and my breathing is just right, the trigger needs to go off. Any hesitation changes my POI...

Recent Posts