7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

what scope you guys using?

308jagermeister, first of all, love the screen name.
As far as glass goes, on my two latest additions, one is wearing a Leupold VX II, 6-18 AO, with target turrets. The other one is a Nikon Monarch, in 6.5-20 AO . I love both, but believe it or not, the Nikon is amazingly clear, and I can see clearly before legal lite, and way after also. They both hold zero very well, and they do return to zero.
I also have one set up with a VARI X III, 4.5-14, AO, with standard turrets. That one is amazingly clear as well.
As rifle scopes are a very personal preference, if I was in the market for another scope, I would definitely consider another Nikon Monarch. I hunted with both this past deer season and was pleased with both of the first two mentioned. Those are my two picks, and I recommend either one.
Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!!lightbulb

P/S, as far as reticles go, I prefer standard crosshairs versus the BDC type. They are ok, but sometimes make the field of view too busy. I would rather dial it, then rely on the little circles.

Last edited:
82.5gr Retumbo 3268 average, ES in the teens. This is a stout load in my rifle, work your way up!

Black Sheep, I know that you used that bullet on your magnificent bull, and I was wondering what was the internal damage like. I used the 145 grain on a whitetail two weeks ago, and I am impressed. Just wondering what the 168 did. I have some of those coming to me soon. They have been on back order, but was told yesterday they are on their way. Take care, and thanks!!!

Bob.

Slight uphill angled shot, dialed for 390, shot at 300. Hit about 6 inches down from the top of his back right where the spine dips the lowest, (and the backstraps are the thickest) Bullet caught the bottom of the spine, and augered about a 50cent piece hole all of the way through the spine, both backstraps, and out the passenger side. I would have no reservations putting one through an Elk shoulderblade if necessary

Hey 308jagermeister
, What scope do people recommend is abit like asking what is the best long range caliber???:D
I was told once that when it comes to optics "you get what you pay for".
Things you need to consider are weight ( are you carrying it around all day in the hills or driving to a hunting stand?), objective size ( light gathering ability in low light? 50 mm compared to a 40mm?) Cheek weld, one of several important factors in consistant accurate shooting. 50mm objective will sit higher and may require an adjustable cheek piece.
What is the minimum and the maximum range that you are wanting to shoot? this will be reflected in the magnification range you choose and the amount of elevation adjustment you will require.
One scope that is proving popular down under is a March 2.5 - 25 x 42.
Others I would consider are the bulletproof Nightforce 5.5-22x50, Leupold mark 4, VX3 etc... ( wish they would make a mark 4 in a 3-18x44) and finally a Swarovski Z5 or Z6 BT with a custom elevation turrent using a 250yard zero to help with the small ( 17 moa?) one rotation of elevation. (Great glass though.)

Regards Steve.

I have a leupold vx-2 6x18x40 with the lr varmint reticle. Very light and sleek scope. Glass is very good. There's a guy i met on here, and he can get them or others at a price i've not seen even on gunbroker. Awesome Leupold connection. Pm and i'll pass him along to you.

308jagermeister,

I have Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scopes on my two Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

For the rings and base and I have low Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings with an EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style rail (20 MOA).

I absolutely love these Vortex PST scopes and my mounting set-up.

what scope you guys using?

Well for mine, I actually was in the store to buy a couple of Fullfield II™ Riflescope
4.5X-14X-42mm they had on sale at the time. I have found these are very nice for the hunting I do and figured since the LGS was having a free finance sale giving me a year to pay them off I might as well get a couple. Trouble started when I walked by the used gun rack first and saw the laminate stock and bull barrel. Then I walked out with the STW and the two scopes.

So mine is sporting one of those two Burris. These have the ballistic plex reticle in them and it matches up perfectly with the Federal factory 150gr Solid Base loads I am using. In fact that load is listed in their drop sheet which accompanies the scopes. I simply had to zero it at 200yds and the rest fall right into place out to 600. So far I haven't shot it past that, but really haven't needed to. Most things have been within 3-400yds and the 150's have reliably put it on the ground for me.

Once things settle down around here I am going to work up some new loads using the 154gr bullets from Horandy and which ever one hits the closest to the same drops will be the one I go with next. I just hope I can get them to shoot as well as the Noslers have. If not, well I DO have a small quantity of them on hand as well, so we'll see.

thanks for all the replies on what scope you're using fellas, I know it's a dead horse type question on here but its good to know what fellow 7stw brothers are using. I have a better idea of what I want now.

I'm using a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20X50mm SF Long Range with Varmit Hunters Reticle. Since I shoot heavy for caliber bullets and my goal is to shoot this out to 1000 yds and beyond, this is what I chose and works for me.

Dan

thanks for all the replies on what scope you're using fellas, I know it's a dead horse type question on here but its good to know what fellow 7stw brothers are using. I have a better idea of what I want now.
My 700bdl STW wore a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 for about a decade or so. I recently got a good deal on a mark 4 4.5-20x50 Mil Dot and swapped them out. The .220 swift now wears the zeiss conquest.

The new (to me) Model 70 Sharpshooter will be wearing a VX3-6.5-20x50 TMR as soon as I get my hands on it.