7mm PRC

Who is actually shooting what? Most shooters/hunters are not of the mindset that represents us here on LRH IMO.

I was in a whitetail hunting camp a few weeks ago. After the hunt we sat around a campfire and enjoyed a beer or two. One of the hunters asked what everyone was shooting. The answers ran the gambit, everything from 300Wby mag on down. Most hunters were shooting very typical cartridges like .308, 30-06, 270. I was the only one shooting a 6.5 PRC and they seemed interested to know about the odd cartridge. The other most "modern" cartridge was a 6.5 Creed being shot by a 14yo who was there with his dad.

I'd say that PRC shooters, of any flavor, will remain in the vast MINORITY for decades to come.

Last edited:
An amazing insight you have! You must be an educator...perhaps Mathmatician I'm guessing.....I could never have wildly imagined that 349,000 ,000 people could ever buy more of anything....let alone Guns...than 38,000,000....once again thank you for your clarity to a real world situation!
Truth of the matter is , Canada has such restrictive gun rights as a nation that it prohibits people from getting a firearm and discourages it. so yes, that will decrease the sales. The only way to really determine it is to find a study where X amount of sales per 100 people. additionally, have you done a study that perhaps in your area they don't like those cartridges or feel they have a need for those cartridges? there could be 100 reasons why in your area people don't buy those cartridges. How about calling Hornady and asking them what their distribution sales are to Canada versus the US or even in your area. You can even ask your distributor and find out what their sales are versus other areas that they service. I'll be interested to know.

Let's try this another way…?
Ask your gunsmith how many chamberings have been a 270, 3006, or 223s in the last 5 compared to the prcs?
I think gunsmiths will always lean towards someone who wants the latest and greatest. Hornady and other companies that develop a new cartridge do not calculate custom guns or custom reloads in their sales. It is for factory guns. That's why they work with the factory arms makers. The 6.5 and factory rifle sales and ammo has been gradually taking over the 308 and I read somewhere that it did dominate in the last two years before Covid. I am just now having a 6.5 PRC built because I wanted to see about the brass availability. I believe in time to 6.5 PRC will take over the 270 why? Because factory arms will start selling more of the 6.5 PRC and the generation that love the 270 Winchester will start to die out and it'll become a forgotten caliber, except for those that relish the old times and reload.

Last edited:
The sales of products tell the story....haven't sold 1 box of 6.5 prc or 300 prc in the past three months....it must be that it's SOOOOOO Popular everyone is afraid to buy it so that it will ALWAYS have a shelf space and the one person that doesn't reload in North America...will be able to get his/ her box! 😉 Long live us old folks and our set ways! And as a gun shop owner....I thank God daily for the popular shells we ARE ABLE TO SELL...
Well I'm not sure where your located but trust me. The sales will migrate to where you are. May just take a bit more time. There's a lot of people that would buy your ammo right now if they could.

Hornady 6.5 PRC ammo is starting to get more plentiful these days, and prices down to $40/box for match and $45/box for precision hunter. Not too bad...

Hornady 7 PRC ammo is listed around $55-$60/box. Think I'll buy a case, break the barrel in, and have plenty of brass left over for reloading.
Good Lord😳😳😳

Attachments

• 90AA1403-3822-4A33-9D57-13D4272EFFFF.png
    90AA1403-3822-4A33-9D57-13D4272EFFFF.png
    314.2 KB · Views: 160
7-300 Win Mag gets my vote since I load but 7 PRC is close. In my 7-300 Win Mag I'm running 175 Nosler ABLR at 3,062fps (could easily run 100fps faster but .3 MOA & single digit ES kept me right at 3,062 in a sweet node). Good 300 Win brass available from: ADG, Peterson, Norma, etc. and very simple to neck down. All critters been DRT on impact, the Nosler's do create a massive amount of damage.…..

They're out there. I recently passed up a set because I'm hoping to get (eventually) a set of Redding Type S FL dies with the micrometer seater. I've got many of the Type S die sets and am pleased with the accuracy from ammo produced with them.

Good luck with your 7PRC.

I jumped on some hornady bushing dies with the micro seater. There not my favorite but figured they were in stock. Just waiting on some brass to pop up and go guage eventually.