7mm PRC

Let's try this another way…?
Ask your gunsmith how many chamberings have been a 270, 3006, or 223s in the last 5 compared to the prcs?
How many factory rifles in those same cartridges have been sold in the last 5 years? I bet thousands. Especially .223. Look at the AR sales.
The long range community might swing towards different chamberings, but 90% of the hunting community is not geared towards that.

How many factory rifles in those same cartridges have been sold in the last 5 years? I bet thousands. Especially .223. Look at the AR sales.
The long range community might swing towards different chamberings, but 90% of the hunting community is not geared towards that.
So question? Right now with new hunting rifles sales, are more rifles sold in 270/3006 standard hunting type cartridges than Hornady Creedmoor and prcs? Not AR223 bs. Those sales are driven by too many other factors.

I know what browning is selling out of first and is behind over a year in production.That gives a fairly good indication of what the consumers are wanting not just long range guys. Each to their own. I'll still be right with it becoming top selling cartridge.
Hornady has their crap together when it comes to marketing and sales.
I know when I go to re-barrel my 7Saums that likely I'll do it in a 7prc just for the factory ammo options it will allow.
The 7prc will edge out cartridges as mentioned above.

Now for ammo, the prc's will never out sell in regards to ammo purchases. There are 50-100 years of "old school" rifles out there in use and in safes.

Last edited:
Shoot factory ammo. Plug and play
I know this is a brand new cartridge, but has anyone done much testing between 22" and 24" barrels? According to the data, I could get the energy I'm looking for to 600yds easily out of a 22" barrel. I'm concerned that the short barrel wont have enough length to get full consistent powder burn.
All the factory numbers on the 7prc are within 24" tube not a 26"

First shots in the new 7 prc factory ammo 180 eldm. Avg speed was 2957 26 inch barrel. That group was 14 plus shots suppressed and a few with the brake. Pretty happy with the PVA prefit so far. Put 40 rounds down barrel today going to play with some handloads with n565 and 190 berger. I did resize some and primer a few wasn't to thrilled how the primer felt already. At the .200 line measured these are just the last numbers number 31 to 315 fired and sized 305 worried it might not be enough but we will see

Attachments

• 20230112_155413.jpg
    20230112_155413.jpg
    904.9 KB · Views: 63
And the next 5 are
30-30 win
270 win
243 win
300 win mag
7 rem mag

The prc rounds are great - but they are a niche market on folks who will spend a lot for small gain - ie the LR crowd. If the 7prc kills anything it will be the 6.5 prc or 300 prc or both. It is eating market off that niche more than anything. The 6.5 cm is low recoil and in different class than the other prc rounds - works great in cheapo light bolt guns with narrow crap recoil pads that appeal to Joe deer hunter. Fire off a 7prc with a 180 @ 3000 fps in one of those - Joe deer hunter wont like it.

Not taking anything away from 7prc - great concept. A "modern" 7mm, like the 6.8w is a "modern" 270. Doubt either will take over, but give their resepctive churner fan boys (me:)) something new to buy and the gun manufacturers a boost

Lou

Eh I dunno. Guys that like 30's will
Continue to run 300PRC and the 7mm guys will run 7PRC's. The 30cal vs 7mm have loyal bases. I'm a 7mm guy but didn't see enough of an advantage with the 7PRC to get rid of all my 7RM brass / dies etc and start over. When 300PRC came out everyone jumped all over it and then they couldn't find brass / ammo etc for it. That seems to have leveled out, but I think the same issue is gonna arise for the 7PRC. For awhile anyways. We'll see.

PRC's are great cartridges. As is the Creedmoor and has for the most part great support from Hornady.