7mm PRC

NorthRiverGuide

Hornady just released the 7mm PRC factory ammunition pushing the 180 gr eld match at 3000 fps. I'm thinking I might have to rebarrel one of my 300's in that. Will be interesting to see how it does. The 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC have already proven themselves as great cartridges. Paired with a good bullet the 7mm PRC looks like a flat shooting beast.

Last edited:
There's a good pod cast on Gunwerks Long Range Pursuit where Aaron Davidson talks about its attributes. Very positive. Compares it to their 7LRM and how they compare. Makes a lot of sense for the Long Range hunting platform and is offered in multiple rifles they build. It's an hour long but worth the watch.
Check it out.

Last edited:
There's a good pod cast on Gunwerks Long Range Pursuit where Aaron Rodgers talks about its attributes. Very positive. Compares it to their 7LRM and how they compare. Makes a lot of sense for the Long Range hunting platform and is offered in multiple rifles they build. It's an hour long but worth the watch.
Check it out.
Great watch. Changed my mind on building another 7LRM or purchasing a 28 Nosler.

Hornady just released the 7mm PRC factory ammunition pushing the 180 gr eld match at 3000 fps. I'm thinking I might have to rebarrel one of my 300's in that. Will be interesting to see how it does. The 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC have already proven themselves as great cartridges. Paired with a good bullet the 7mm PRC looks like a flat shooting beast.
That cartridge will be a top selling cartridge without question. That bullet flat out works.

That cartridge will be a top selling cartridge without question. That bullet flat out works.
That's a great bullet and 7mm is a popular caliber for long range. It's always had a sweet spot with me. My last 300 I was going to go with a 7mm but changed last second due to supplies being hard to find and I had plenty of stuff for the 300. Have it setup and throated for the 180 eld match it will be a deadly combination.

Great watch. Changed my mind on building another 7LRM or purchasing a 28 Nosler.

I'm going to listen to that on the way home today. I just hope they're not pushing product.

If it would truly fill a niche between a 7RM and 28 Nosler performance wise it will be an amazing round. It just doesn't quite appear to have the case capacity for that. I still wish the 7LRM would have taken off.

The main appeal for probably 90% of folks is factory guns and ammo that will give that level of performance without the extra hassle or cost of custom guns/barrels. Just like the 6.5prc did for me a few years back, I'd been saving and had my heart set on a 6.5-284 for years. Smith talked me into the PRC, soon after they released factory rifles and factory ammo. It was quicker to get brass and dies for so I went that route. The 300prc is an absolute hammer and would be my choice for moose or African plains game. I don't need that level of power I'm not in moose country so the 7 would make perfect sense for me and 95% of folks out there. I've had a 7rem mag since I was teenager but it's more gun than I need for most of Kentucky just aren't many 600yd bean fields in my area anymore. Why major manufacturers aren't using proper twist barrels is beyond me, it would breathe life back into most of our older chamberings.
Hopefully it'll be like the 6.5creed and get more folks out enjoying the sport help promote sportsmanship. I'm all for anything which does that.

Top selling.....lol....another major drain in a vastly depleted market! No manufacturer seems to be able to meet 10% of current supply demands....but HEY...let's introduce a New Wonder cartridge.....I can't even get brass for a .308!

There's a good pod cast on Gunwerks Long Range Pursuit where Aaron Davidson talks about its attributes. Very positive. Compares it to their 7LRM and how they compare. Makes a lot of sense for the Long Range hunting platform and is offered in multiple rifles they build. It's an hour long but worth the watch.
Check it out.
Still like my 28 it hits hard for along ways

If you reload there are no advantages over the 7 Rem Mag if you own one. But if you are getting a 7mm going with the 7mm prc is a no brainer. If you need 28 Nosler omph you should bump up to 300 PRC or Lapua AI.
28 out does the 300 prc in almost every category with less recoil, with my experience with 7 different 28 and 4 300

That's a key point above.

I also feel like the real improvement here just like the 6.5 and 300 is to the guy who doesn't hand load and buys factory rifles. Ammo and rifles chambered for these rounds are designed to take advantage of modern bullets and powders.
This is why it will be a top seller. Great logic.