7mm PRC is here. SAAMI specs out

Doe tags are easy to get as a resident in quite a few places. Literally 100% draw odds. You just need to do a little research on the g&f site, and maybe hunt a different area than what you are used to. Non residents it depends on the area, but 40-50% draw odds or better are not hard to find. For us, shots range from 200-800 yards. My family usually harvest around 18-20+ pronghorn a year.
Well unfortunately we only had 3 points this year and wanted to hunt mule deer also with 3 points. Found an area in SE Wyoming that could accommodate those needs but a little anorexic on the mule deer and even worse on quality. Went 6 for 6 on Pronghorn bucks and all good animals. All shot between 200-800 yards. Pronghorn are very good table fare so didn't much care about mule deer really but had a ball chasing them.

Well unfortunately we only had 3 points this year and wanted to hunt mule deer also with 3 points. Found an area in SE Wyoming that could accommodate those needs but a little anorexic on the mule deer and even worse on quality. Went 6 for 6 on Pronghorn bucks and all good animals. All shot between 200-800 yards. Pronghorn are very good table fare so didn't much care about mule deer really but had a ball chasing them.
Ya, buck pronghorn non res tags are certainly different, need points for most areas and quite a few points for the better trophy areas. The area I hunt is 40-45% draw odds for resident, but takes I think 5-7 points for non res to draw

Ya, buck pronghorn non res tags are certainly different, need points for most areas and quite a few points for the better trophy areas. The area I hunt is 40-45% draw odds for resident, but takes I think 5-7 points for non res to draw
Definitely a better trophy area needing that many points. It's a tough decision. Waiting for 6-8 years or only 3-4 and settling on a little smaller buck. Personally at 60 years of age, I prefer to hunt every few years and the hunt is what's important so I'll settle on less quality. There certainly were alot of animals in our HMA and if I was pickier, I could have shot a bigger goat. Next time out, I'll wait on a bigger buck.

Hopefully others are smart enough to work UP TOO the load they see those numbers at and not start with it.
Some of it is inexperience and people trying to duplicate what they see on forums.
I remember a few years back a member on accurateshooter was booted off the forum for posting loads loads he claimed
" no pressure" in a 20VT running 32 gr bullets at 4,000fps.

Some of it is inexperience and people trying to duplicate what they see on forums.
I remember a few years back a member on accurateshooter was booted off the forum for posting loads loads he claimed
" no pressure" in a 20VT running 32 gr bullets at 4,000fps.
Well like I said, hopefully people can see thru that stupidity and use their common sense. I follow alot of others load data too. I just always start 3-4 grains below their number if it looks good based on book data.

Well like I said, hopefully people can see thru that stupidity and use their common sense. I follow alot of others load data too. I just always start 3-4 grains below their number if it looks good based on book data.

This is the warning Jim Harmer posted with his 7 PRC findings !

Loading the 175gr ELD-X Bullet in the 7mm PRC

Important Note: This is anecdotal testing in my personal rifle. Your results may vary. Unlike a load data book from one of the ammunition companies, I am not measuring pressure with a computer. I'm just looking at the brass for symptoms of being over-pressure, but sometimes those symptoms don't show up until 70k or 75k psi–which is an unsafe pressure. Do not rely on my anecdotal testing for your rifle. If ya do… you might blow your face off.

Never hunted NM. Only Wyoming for goats. Sounds like eastern whitetail hunting ranges. Up close and personal.
Most hunters can't hit a 10" pie plate consistently beyond a hundred yards.

I've just about choked myself to death over the years watching "misses" fired by other hunters.

Of course it's always bad ammo, busted scope, or, "the darn thing jumped at the shot". 🤣

This cartridge space is already filled in with a 7 LRM Cartridge from Gun Werks at 7mm 180 grain running 2950 fps plus. Maybe just Hornady looking to get in in the action. HaHa so to speak. What also is nice that the 7LRM calls for no bolt or magazine modification on a std. mag bolt face. At least GunWerks went to a better brass manufacturer.
Hornady and gunwerks kinda designed the lrm case together actually

Attachments

• 823CFEAE-F7B8-4D03-B816-8F58986E5494.jpeg
    823CFEAE-F7B8-4D03-B816-8F58986E5494.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited: