7mm PRC is here. SAAMI specs out

Most people aren't willing to admit they've done something stupid in public.

We're also quite fortunate in the strength of modern actions.

Few blow up completely, but I've seen some seriously damaged due to overpressure.
I've done a lot of stupid stuff in public. I'm just glad it happened 30 years ago when iPhones weren't around and nobody carried a video camera.... grin

Those measurements are based on the Test cases submitted to SAAMI.

You'll even find variations from lot to lot with the same manufacturer and considerable differences from brand to brand.
This is very true. Ryan Furman tested out some 30 nosler brass about a year and a half ago, and it ranged from 97.5 grains (Peterson) to 102 grains (ADG), so 4.5 grain spread just in manufacturers. With that, and looking at the spread in 300 wm brass, if you get a 300 wm case with the highest capacity, and compare to the 30 nosler with Peterson brass, there are cases when the 300 wm may actually have more capacity. Lots of variables for sure.

Last edited:
This is very true. Ryan Furman tested out some 30 nosler brass about a year and a half ago, and it ranged from 97.5 grains (Peterson) to 102 grains (ADG), so 4.5 grain spread just in manufacturers. With that, and looking at the spread in 300 wm brass, if you get a 300 wm case with the highest capacity, and compare to the 30 nosler with Peterson brass, there are cases when the 300 wm mat actually have more capacity. Lots of variables for sure.
I don't see how listing the 300 wm capacity at 82 grains has anything to do with brass manufacturer.. Same with the 280 ai.
The greatest capacity I've heard of from any 300 wm case is 95 grains, I'd be interested to hear if someone has measured one in the 98 range.
I just measured a bunch of my Peterson and ADG 30 Nos brass, Peterson fire formed is 98.5
ADG came out at 100.5 (virgin is 99 grains ADG, 97.5 Peterson)

Last edited:
So the idea the hornady has developed all the PRC cartridges for PRS is asinine.
ZiACmw2m.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Sure looking forward to Oct 26th when Hornady announces the 7mm PRC, I think it's going to be a great addition to the 7mm cartridge line up.

Attachments

• BAF0BEAC-7BB7-4349-81B7-DEAA1E8A33DD.jpeg
    BAF0BEAC-7BB7-4349-81B7-DEAA1E8A33DD.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 54