7mm PRC is here. SAAMI specs out

I have a 7 PRC barrel on order from Carbon 6. I have 180 Berger Hybrids, H4831SC and RL23. I know the verdict is still out, but are those powders a pretty good place to start?

I have a 7 PRC barrel on order from Carbon 6. I have 180 Berger Hybrids, H4831SC and RL23. I know the verdict is still out, but are those powders a pretty good place to start?
I would choose the slower RL23. It will for sure give you better case fill. Gunwerks always pushed H1000 as the nominal powder for the 7mm LRM and I would think all the powders between RL23 and H1000 should work great in the 7mm PRC. Plus, some of the slower powders like Retumbo, N568 and N570 may as well. Retumbo is just impossible to find. I get great performance from IMR8133 in my 7mm LRM, but you cannot buy it any longer, but it shows that slow powders can work in these cases/bores.

I'm a little more optimistic regarding most reloaders doing it right. There's ignorance in every group of people but I see alot less of it in this group.
In our group here certainly that is true but totally inexperienced people have been buying up reloaders and components like mad for the last few years and there isn't enough experience between most of them to apply what we commonly consider "Common Sense" after many years, even decades at it.

From my own experience I now know I'm awfully lucky not to have completely blown up a few guns in my early years of hot-rodding.

In our group here certainly that is true but totally inexperienced people have been buying up reloaders and components like mad for the last few years and there isn't enough experience between most of them to apply what we commonly consider "Common Sense" after many years, even decades at it.

From my own experience I now know I'm awfully lucky not to have completely blown up a few guns in my early years of hot-rodding.
I've heard of many more non reloaders chambering the wrong cartridge than I do loaders over charging and blowing up guns. That speaks alot to the safety of these individuals vs the typical sportsman that don't always pay attention to what they chamber. I've heard of no less than a dozen cases of wrong ammunition being chambered and bad things happening. This versus me personally not hearing of any "Hot Rodding" in reloading and bad things happening. I've loaded hot but safely,carefully and gradually. I think the Art (and it is an Art) of reloading is something most do carefully even if they do push the limits. You may have heard of bad things happening to others while reloading but fortunately I have not. Either way, we all know right from wrong safety wise in reloading and fortunately it still is a safe option in this hobby/sport for acquiring ammunition. Let's hope it stays this way.

I've heard of many more non reloaders chambering the wrong cartridge than I do loaders over charging and blowing up guns. That speaks alot to the safety of these individuals vs the typical sportsman that don't always pay attention to what they chamber. I've heard of no less than a dozen cases of wrong ammunition being chambered and bad things happening. This versus me personally not hearing of any "Hot Rodding" in reloading and bad things happening. I've loaded hot but safely,carefully and gradually. I think the Art (and it is an Art) of reloading is something most do carefully even if they do push the limits. You may have heard of bad things happening to others while reloading but fortunately I have not. Either way, we all know right from wrong safety wise in reloading and fortunately it still is a safe option in this hobby/sport for acquiring ammunition. Let's hope it stays this way.
Most people aren't willing to admit they've done something stupid in public.

We're also quite fortunate in the strength of modern actions.

Few blow up completely, but I've seen some seriously damaged due to overpressure.

Pretty sure the LRM is more like 88 grains H20, the 7 RM is 83, 7 wsm is 82
You are correct about the LRM, I just checked the h20 capacity of a once fired piece of Gunwerks brass(ADG) 89.1grs, I used the capacity from Backfire.TV info for the LRM, I have brass/dies/reamer/parts for a build so may follow through one of these days.

pNB94yG.jpg

Last edited:
You are correct about the LRM, I just checked the h20 capacity of a once fired piece of Gunwerks brass(ADG) 89.1grs, I used the capacity from Backfire.TV info for the LRM, I have brass/dies/reamer/parts for a build so may follow through one of these days.

pNB94yG.jpg
Yeah that chart is messy..
The 28 nos with ADG brass is 101.5 grains
280ai is around 73
300 wsm is 80
300 wm 94-95