6.5x284 and 7PRC

The prc case design seems to be able to get good performance in short barrels. I am really happy with my 6.5 prc performance in a 18" and 22". I think you are on the right path
Was thinking of doing the 6.5 PRC for my wife for a little les recoil and the 7PRC for me. I don't think she would ever shoot at an Elk past 400 yards. Honestly I don't know if I would either without a lot more trigger time. She loves her.06 but wanted to give her a little more. It's between the 280AI, 6.5PRC and the 7PRC

Can you share that? I have a hard time seeing 4 moa less drop. 6.5 has high bc for weight and generally is pretty flat. Be interesting to see what data is.
At about 7:20 in this video is the difference in drop chart. Heavy 7's carry some of the best BCs there are. That is why Gunwerks created their 7mm.

At about 7:20 in this video is the difference in drop chart. Heavy 7's carry some of the best BCs there are. That is why Gunwerks created their 7mm.

It's not bad info. Generally gw does a good job being fair during analysis. Having 7 mags and multiple 6.5's I've not seen that much difference but the .284 bullet selection makes it an easy choice for bigger game

It's not bad info. Generally gw does a good job being fair during analysis. Having 7 mags and multiple 6.5's I've not seen that much difference but the .284 bullet selection makes it an easy choice for bigger game
Have you tested the 7 PRC? I was just wondering if anyone else is getting the same results as the chart in the UR video?
(the chart was for the 7 PRC not GWs 7mm)

Have you tested the 7 PRC? I was just wondering if anyone else is getting the same results as the chart in the UR video?
GW uses the 7LRM and it's a different animal. Yes, they made it clear they used the 7 PRC. I think, I didn't watch the whole video, is that they used factory ammo. They also made it clear results may vary etc. I am going to assume they used the same length barrels for testing or they used printed info off the box. Lots of assumptions on my side. GW is usually pretty dang fair. If it was the Real Gunsmith I'd give zero credit to anything said. Ha Ha

I not yet played with a 7 PRC. Me personally I have no need for it since I run the 6.5 PRC. However, I have a neighbor who is building one and I will help with the load development. I am looking forward to it and have high hopes it will be an excellent performer. I'm done with building rifles this year, I have to put a roof on my house.....

you can expect a 7 prc to send a 180 around 2950. The rest is just math.
Drop is a constant, wind is variable

How quickly things get off subject. I just wanted to know if I could make the switch from my 6.5x284 to 7PRC and use the same stock, action. There's no doubt the 7PRC has more energy than the 6.5x284 at 600 yards. This is going to be a very short barrel mountain rifle. I don't care how much velocity I lose if I can get the right numbers for a max of 600 yards. In reality hopefully 400 and under.
Why not get a 7mm barrel and shoot 284 win? No screwing around with the bolt face.

I love my 6.5x284 was thinking a little more energy for Elk. I have taken a Dall sheep at 525 yards and my 5x5 at 100 with my 6.5x284.

Curious here, so excuse my asking but how many elk have you taken with any round let alone with the 6.5/284? And, how often do you hunt elk?

How far do you practice with this rifle on a consistent basis?

Lastly, worry about getting a decent bullet in a good place and a bullet that will open at any range that you're willing and prepared to take a shot at a live critter with. All this worry about energy is by and large just not worth it. Wreck the lungs and the critter is going to Croak City Wyoming...period!

GW uses the 7LRM and it's a different animal. Yes, they made it clear they used the 7 PRC. I think, I didn't watch the whole video, is that they used factory ammo. They also made it clear results may vary etc. I am going to assume they used the same length barrels for testing or they used printed info off the box. Lots of assumptions on my side. GW is usually pretty dang fair. If it was the Real Gunsmith I'd give zero credit to anything said. Ha Ha

I not yet played with a 7 PRC. Me personally I have no need for it since I run the 6.5 PRC. However, I have a neighbor who is building one and I will help with the load development. I am looking forward to it and have high hopes it will be an excellent performer. I'm done with building rifles this year, I have to put a roof on my house.....
My 11 year old just bought a 6.5 PRC in a Savage Desert tactical. So far we are liking it. Haven't really tested it out with glass much yet but it seemed to be 3/4 to 1 moa with factory Nosler ammo. He has shot about a dozen coyotes at 225ish yards with it and a Thermion XG50. Fun addictive stuff right there.(shooting coyotes at night to break in the barrel in) About to pull the thermal off and do some load development with it.
Life is good!

I have a 6.5x284 with a Gunwerks long action. Can I put a 7PRC barrel on that or is it the wrong size bolt face? If it's wrong size can I just get a replacement bolt?
As others have said contacting GW would be the place to start. I also say go for it! You can always swap it back as long as the action isn't changed.