7prc > 7rm ??

I saw a video a while back of someone comparing 3 different lots of Hornady Precision Hunter ammunition. They broke one round down from three different boxes of ammo and showed what appeared to be three different type/size of powder grains. The powders reportedly looked like RL26, H1000 and Stabil HD. They shot and chrono graphed the three different lots with the kinds of velocity variation you'd expect. Stabil HD was by far the slowest with RL26 the fastest.
I guess it is possible the ammunition came from times with serious powder shortages and Hornady just wanted to sell ammunition. I wish I could find the video and post it.

How do you know that? That have used canister powders in the past and listed them on the box.
Hornady 6.5 creedmoor is the only one I'm aware of where they listed the load on the box. This was a specific request from Dennis DeMille the high power shooter who developed the round with Dave Emary from Hornady. There may be others but it's the only one I'm aware of. They also do not have the load on the box anymore. Canister grade powder is held to tighter tolerances so there is not as much lot to lot variation. This is not practical for ammo manufacturers buying powder by the ton.

The year IS now, 2024 Minus, 1964 ( when, 7MM Rem Mag., New ) = 60 Year OLD Cart. Design and NOBODY in My Family, IS, Buying / Building ANY,.. Old design, Belted, Cartridge Rifles when, the 6.5 and 7 PRC's, Exist !
Better Tolerances on, Chambers / Brass / Dies and, the barrels are, Twisted and Throated, "Correctly" for, Today's, Long / Heavy, HIGH BC Bullets !
( What's NOT to,.. LIKE ?? )
PS,. I'm,. OUT on, this,.. subject ! And YES, I once Owned, 2, 7 MM Rem Mag's., And, they are still, "OK",.. BUT,.. Why ??

Last edited:
How does one beat the other with factory ammo? Honest question.

Factory Ammo for 7 Rem Mag isn't shooting the same bullets (same weight and design) as 7 PRC other than one option. Please inform if there are others you're aware of.

Federal Premium 155 Terminal Ascent
7 Rem Mag per box 3000 FPS
7 PRC per box 3100 FPS

Hornady doesn't load the same weight ELD-X in the two. I realize the issue with Hornady factory ammo not always meeting advertised velocities. I'd challenge that by asking if 7 Rem mag ammo does?

7 Rem Mag 162 ELD-X advertised 2975 FPS
7 PRC 175 ELD-X advertised 3000 FPS

So again, how does the 7 Rem Mag beat the 7 PRC "especially with factory ammo"? They're shooting two different weight class projectiles in basically all but one offering.

Arguing the reloading side would be foolish. Of course you can reload a 7 Rem Mag to outperform a 7 PRC. Not everybody reloads for multiple reasons.

Just to note, I own (1) 7 Rem Mag and (0) 7 PRC.

ETA: I found a Remington offering if a 175 Speer Impact in their Premier Long Range lineup.
Per Remington Website:
7 Rem Mag velocity 2860 FPS
7 PRC velocity 3000 FPS
First thing is the box stated velocity is not necessarily accurate. But let's assume that it is on the TA and the Speer. They difference in velocity is most likely attributable to different powders or more likely seating depth. They are probably seating the 7PRC longer so that they put more powder in the cartridge. Hard to say as neither manufacturer lists the COAL of the loads.

First thing is the box stated velocity is not necessarily accurate. But let's assume that it is on the TA and the Speer. They difference in velocity is most likely attributable to different powders or more likely seating depth. They are probably seating the 7PRC longer so that they put more powder in the cartridge. Hard to say as neither manufacturer lists the COAL of the loads.
Any assumption you make on one, you should make on the other or is that not how this works? It's all factory produced ammo.

I'd guess that most likely COAL is the same 3.340" since most mass producers stick to SAAMI specs or is that a silly assumption?

Exactly SAAMI specs 7PRC loads longer. As both cases hold essentially the same amount of powder the only explanation is the bullet isn't seated as deep in the 7PRC so that more powder is put into that casing. The PRC is not inherently faster than the 7 REM Mag

I'm not in the market for a 7 PRC but if it less prone to case head separation after 2-3 firings, that is appealing.
Belts are an anachronism that ultimately wastes chamber space by limiting the diameter of the case above the belt. There's no point to using the 375 H&H as a parent case over the 404 Jeffrey today, support of older cartridges is the only reason it persists.

There's nothing inherently "better" about having a belt vs not having one. It's nothing more than Winchester's and Remington's marketing machine from the 1960s competing against Hornady's marketing machine today. Whatever BS the Fudds swallowed back then is no different from the BS being fed to the weak minded today. They just bit on it back then and refuse to admit it today.

That said you can solve the case head separation issue you're having with Peterson long brass if you don't want to buy a new barrel.

If you want to buy a new barrel, skip the Rem Mag and the PRC and go for a 28 Nosler or 7 RUM or something else unreasonable that makes Fudds sad.

Exactly SAAMI specs 7PRC loads longer. As both cases hold essentially the same amount of powder the only explanation is the bullet isn't seated as deep in the 7PRC so that more powder is put into that casing. The PRC is not inherently faster than the 7 REM Mag
Factory ammo is factory ammo. The only two comparable loads show the PRC is loaded as outperforming the Rem Mag. In fear of context being lost, my post that you replied to was in reply to someone claiming that the Rem Mag beats the PRC all the way around especially with factory ammo.

The 7 Rem Mag is a more capable cartridge when modified from SAAMI specs. I'm not saying the PRC is better as anything other than a factory option. The PRC factory ammo is pushing heavier bullets at similar velocities as the factory Rem Mag is with lighter bullets in factory ammo. Thats just reality.

To correct my assumption from earlier
Per SAAMI Max COAL
7 PRC 3.340
7 Rem Mag 3.290

They only had about 60yrs to get that part "straight".
I own both.

But I can tell you without hesitation one is about to enter permanent retirement, likely.