7prc > 7rm ??

river rat23

Hello all. I'm always buying / selling / trading gear & rifles. Always interested in trying something new to tinker. As the rest of you surely have , I now hear constant talk about 7prc being the latest & greatest. I started to do some research to find out for myself. I just can't nail down why a 7prc would in any way really provide a better rifle than 1 of my current 7rm rifles. I'm shooting hornady eldxs and berger vlds. 1 recipe is 168gr berger vld @ 3,094fps av. Have had good luck getting sub moa av groups with both rifles. Someone educate me on what 7prc would do better ? Why are people raging about this 7prc stuff? Thanks in advance for the education. Always cool to hear the wizards come out of the woodwork on here. Cheers

I just can't nail down why a 7prc would in any way really provide a better rifle than 1 of my current 7rm rifles.
If you're happy with your 7 Rem. mag,
chances are you won't find anything better in the 7 PRC. Others here will provide better info than I, but in short - in factory rifles (twist rate/etc) shooting factory ammo, the 7 PRC provides the ability to shoot heavier weight bullets accurately in a rifle designed to do so.

Only advantage, theoretically, is the 8" twist standard on factory rifles.
I watched Whoteewho shoot his, and the lacklustre velocity of the factory ammo was a huge negative for me. As I said in another thread, 2800fps, and that is NOT what the Hornady match ammo with a 175g ELD-X was doing, the box said that, but it was 26xx something. Is a huge turnoff for me. I'll stick with the 7-08 on the slow accurate end, and the STW for top end speed.

Cheers.

About 4 or 5 years ago i rebarreled a savage 110 7RM i bought in high school (1978) with a 24 in shilen match select barrel from James at Northern shooters supply. He suggested an 8 twist. I went with his suggestion. Man...does that thing shoot. James invented the 7 prc....in my mind....lol. The prc i believe is attractive to the factory ammo guys...and handloaders....it just that there are more non reloaders out there then we think and the want to shoot far. Jmo....the prc has its place...probably not in my gun vault cause James sold me one a few years ago...lol

Only advantage, theoretically, is the 8" twist standard on factory rifles.
I watched Whoteewho shoot his, and the lacklustre velocity of the factory ammo was a huge negative for me. As I said in another thread, 2800fps, and that is NOT what the Hornady match ammo with a 175g ELD-X was doing, the box said that, but it was 26xx something. Is a huge turnoff for me. I'll stick with the 7-08 on the slow accurate end, and the STW for top end speed.

Cheers.
Would you mind sharing that video link? Hornady box ammo 175ELD-X 7mm PRC says 3000 fps, not 2800. There are plenty of videos showing less than claimed velocities but 2600-2700 from a 24" barrel is unbelievable.

I've been reading up quite a bit on here. From what I can tell, it boils down to it not being any better/different than a well loaded 7rm shooting 3100, but some people just love the new cartridge train. Just didn't know if one of you smart fellas would shed light on something I hadn't read. Give me a concrete reason to trade the mags toward a new prc

"concrete reason to trade the mags toward a new prc"
If you're a handloader, especially if you put a custom 8twist on your 7RM, I don't think there is a reason to switch. If, on the other hand, you are looking at getting your 1st 7mm, the 7PRC or 28 Nosler are the logical choices. You just have to decide if you want a barrel burner or not.

Beltless cartridges with 30 deg shoulders seem to be all the rage lately. If marketing is strong, and factory ammo available, then success is almost guaranteed.

But the reality is - if it can't be done with the time-tested & proven 30-06, it just can't be done. :D
My 22" Win 70 06' is throwing 150's @ 3000 plus and 165's @ 2900.
Just Garmin Chronographed my Browning A-bolt Stainless with 162 Hornady Superformance & it's barely @ 3000! (I bought factory to get the Brass)
Pretty hard to beat the Old War Horses, 06' 270, 6.5x55, lol even newer ones like 308, 243

I've been reading up quite a bit on here. From what I can tell, it boils down to it not being any better/different than a well loaded 7rm shooting 3100, but some people just love the new cartridge train. Just didn't know if one of you smart fellas would shed light on something I hadn't read. Give me a concrete reason to trade the mags toward a new prc
Let me give you the consensus from The last thread. Factory rifles with the better twist to shoot heavies. If you build a rifle the point is mute. The chamber design is better as well but again if your going custom you can do that as well.

Would you mind sharing that video link? Hornady box ammo 175ELD-X 7mm PRC says 3000 fps, not 2800. There are plenty of videos showing less than claimed velocities but 2600-2700 from a 24" barrel is unbelievable.
Look up WhoteeWho on YouTube. I have no idea how to link anything.
It may have been only 2800fps, but whatever, just another Hornady hype fest cartridge…

Cheers.