7prc > 7rm ??

Most reloaders in this forum will fret over any change and with good reason. The same powder label with a different lot # will send us to the range to collect the new data. Factory ammo really does not have place in true long range shooting. It is fine for the casual hunter that thinks 100 yards is long shot.
Hmm..., well sir, that's certainly not my experience. Last summer, I was shooting steel with a CA Traverse 300 PRC, shooting Hornady's 212gr eldx factory ammo. I was getting sub-MOA, and consistently hitting a kill zone sized steel out to 700yrds. I shoot with a chrono running, use a kestral, and know how to true my data.

I reloaded 30-06 in my dad's shop at 12yrs old, but only recently picked up the rifles again, after setting down the bow. I have been slowly accumulating equipment, and components to reload. Seems like something always gets in the way in starting up again, like my knee replacement for my Rt. knee, that I wore out skiing, etc. etc.

I realize that handloads would really up my game, especially beyond 600yrds. However, I shoot/practice with rifles to hunt, and don't plan on shooting an animal beyond 400-600yrds. Last year I killed my Elk at 320yrds.

Last edited:
How does one beat the other with factory ammo? Honest question.

Factory Ammo for 7 Rem Mag isn't shooting the same bullets (same weight and design) as 7 PRC other than one option. Please inform if there are others you're aware of.

Federal Premium 155 Terminal Ascent
7 Rem Mag per box 3000 FPS
7 PRC per box 3100 FPS

Hornady doesn't load the same weight ELD-X in the two. I realize the issue with Hornady factory ammo not always meeting advertised velocities. I'd challenge that by asking if 7 Rem mag ammo does?

7 Rem Mag 162 ELD-X advertised 2975 FPS
7 PRC 175 ELD-X advertised 3000 FPS

So again, how does the 7 Rem Mag beat the 7 PRC "especially with factory ammo"? They're shooting two different weight cla

How does one beat the other with factory ammo? Honest question.

Factory Ammo for 7 Rem Mag isn't shooting the same bullets (same weight and design) as 7 PRC other than one option. Please inform if there are others you're aware of.

Federal Premium 155 Terminal Ascent
7 Rem Mag per box 3000 FPS
7 PRC per box 3100 FPS

Hornady doesn't load the same weight ELD-X in the two. I realize the issue with Hornady factory ammo not always meeting advertised velocities. I'd challenge that by asking if 7 Rem mag ammo does?

7 Rem Mag 162 ELD-X advertised 2975 FPS
7 PRC 175 ELD-X advertised 3000 FPS

So again, how does the 7 Rem Mag beat the 7 PRC "especially with factory ammo"? They're shooting two different weight class projectiles in basically all but one offering.

Arguing the reloading side would be foolish. Of course you can reload a 7 Rem Mag to outperform a 7 PRC. Not everybody reloads for multiple reasons.

Just to note, I own (1) 7 Rem Mag and (0) 7 PRC.

ETA: I found a Remington offering if a 175 Speer Impact in their Premier Long Range lineup.
Per Remington Website:
7 Rem Mag velocity 2860 FPS
7 PRC velocity 3000 FPS
I ran them through chronograph the federal is the best load but the Hornady falls way short in the prc . Just because they print it on a box don't believe it